2009 Macbook Freezes when Moved (yay it finally broke!)

aPanzerIV

Daemon Poster
This started as a problem yesterday in school when some jerkhole knocked my laptop off the table in art class. It froze up. I restarted it, and it was fine, for about 20 minutes, I moved it across the table to put it in the bag, and I notice it froze up again, so I rebooted it. Then the airport would not turn on. So I rebooted it again, and it was fine for the rest of the day. Today, it froze again, and I rebooted it several times to get it working. The bluetooth no longer works on it. If I bump it or move it too quickly it will freeze or the airport will stop working. Please note this is a school computer, not my personal computer, they do have warranties, but I don't feel like paying the $100 deductible to have a $250 computer fixed by some nut job who probably spends it on crack. I'de like to fix it myself today or tomorrow if it is fixable. It first sounded like a loose stick of ram or the airport adapter being loose, but after looking at the board on google, the airport looks imbedded, and after researching the problem, it could by anything from the battery to the "logic board"(really apple, its a motherboard, c'mon). I don't really have the money to fix it, but if it will last another 3 months, then I'll wait it out.

It sounds to me like a connection was busted and moving the laptop is shorting the connection. Even though it's all integrated, there's something (capacitor maybe?) that is coming loose when you move or bump it. It may be worth getting a soldering iron that is made for electronics (too much heat = fried components) and some solder. Very gently wiggle anything that protrudes from the motherboard to see if there's a connection that's shorting out on you.

Today it just stopped working completely so I dropped it off at the help desk. I didn't see anything loose, so its probably the motherboard. Thanks anyways :)

Back
Top Bottom