2 different video cards in SLI

d_source

Daemon Poster
I am currently running 2 6600GTs in SLI. If i upgrade to an newer video card (probably 8600GT, but just one) can i still keep one of my older 6600GTs in the system and run SLI on 2 different series of cards? What will the effect be on the screen? Is it worth running SLI with the 6600GT or will it make the quality of the video lower? I want to play bioshock.

THX.

I highly think the system will recognize the lower gpu over the better one. From what I have heard, nVidia does not SLi different types of cards.

nope to run 3 cards you need 3 same cards
just get sell your dual 6600 and use the money to get an 8800 640mb
i find sli a wast of money....
you should just wait for better hardware to come out and use your money on that

I would just want to use 1 of the old 6600GTs and a new 8600GT, since my mobo is older and can only fit 2 cards (SLI 8x).

YOU CANNOT RUN 2 DIFFERENT CARDS IN SLI

It's possible to run them both in one computer, but not in SLI. There's a huge difference.

Wait, lol nvm they were both 7600's. Sorry n00bish on my part. I got the 730 GS later bc I sold my other rig to a friend.

No, you didn't. The cards have to have the same core. The 7300GS uses a G72 core, the 7600GT uses a G73 core. It's impossible to SLI those cards. You might have had both of them in the same computer, but they were not in SLI mode.

EDIT: That's what I thought..

ive found sli a pain in the butt. sometimes it works well , but a lot of the times its just too much hassle.

Back
Top Bottom