2 or 3gb of ram?

sanka

Daemon Poster
I currently have 1gb(2x512) in my system. If I bought a 2gb set (2x1gb), would it still run in dual channel? And yes I do have four ram slots. Also, is it worth the extra 37 bucks to go up to 3gb? Its the same brand, too, and the 2gb set is on sale.

So?

Edit: It would only be 37 bucks more to go up.

Really if you plan on buying a 2GB set just keep the 3GB in there, and yes, it will still run dual channel. I'm not sure what you mean when you say you're spending an extra 50 bucks though.. do you plan on getting 3 1xGB sticks? Because if that's the case then 2x1GB is more than enough for today's applications.

No, I already have 1gb(2x512). I would then buy 2gb(2x1gb) more, making it overall 3.

Oops, I didn't read properly. I posted 2GB, but actually, 3GB would be good. It's going to be more than needed, but you're going to enjoy it, especially with Vista.

Oh, I thought you wanted to buy 3x1GB sticks, must've read something wrong, in that case, go with what lhuser said, get the 2GB and put 'em in the remaining slots, you'll have two sets of RAM running at dual channel.

Yeah leave the 512X2 in there both sets will run at dual channel. 3GB is enough.

Back
Top Bottom