15 years old, 1st computer build (gaming)

justinalves

Solid State Member
After watching countless numbers of videos, looking at a LOT of reviews, and reading a LOT a LOT a LOT, I have came to a somewhat concluded my overall gaming computer build. Though I have yet to be a professional, I am satisfied.
For all of my perfectionist purposes, I would greatly appreciate those on computerforums to help me; 1. Decide on any possibly better components 2. Help me find a better place to get these components cheaper or 3. Give advice on what else i should get to perfect my computer.
The kind of games I plan on playing are Minecraft, Call of Duty, LA Noire etc. Games I would assume are considered in the middle graphics wise.
I can only afford to pay $500 for this computer, though I am willing to go an extra 50 or so. So far my expenses are at a mere $468.92, including shipping. I have found most components on newegg.com but if their are any places i can find these cheaper please let me know.
My build includes:
Case- Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Power Supply- Newegg.com - Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Motherboard- Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU- Newegg.com - AMD Phenom II X4 975 Black Edition Deneb 3.6GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDZ975FBK4DGM - Processors - Desktops
Memory- Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model BLS2KIT4G3D1339DS1S00
Video card- Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1441-KR GeForce GT 440 1024MB (Fermi) DUAL DVI PCI Express 2.0 x16 Video Card
Storage- Newegg.com - Crucial M4 CT064M4SSD2 2.5" 64GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

I apologize for the lack of hyperlinks, for I do not have enough time to change them all. If I am missing anything essential your assistance in helping me is greatly appreciated as well as your assistance in any other matter is.
Thank you.

- Justin

500.00 for a full custom build and games that gonna require Windows to run, sorry but your dreaming take your 500 if you need a new computer and get a HP at Wal-Mart. Other wise save up and try for a custom build at around 1,200 to 2,000 while your doing custom do it right get a high end good motherboard so you can handle upgrades for future graphix cards and better processors

You got 530.00 in supplies listed you still have no type modem card for internet, you gotta have wire harness to hook everything to the motherboard (unless your motherboard includes one) you need fans to cool everything inside that oven it gets really really hot without one and running AMD it gets hotter so gonna need atleast two I suggest 4 fans i csn't remember if I saw a dvd rom drive on the list then you have to buy Windows full Operating System and I think cheapest I found Win7 for is 180.00 you could run a linux but those games are windows flavors not sure if wine could run them. And thats a cheap build most custom builders do so because stuff on the market(pre built) is inferior like they want 16+ gb ram super high end graphix cards and speed. Have you checked to make sure all those componets are compatable to your motherboard if not it will fry real quick

I'd consider looking at the games you're wanting to play and the minimum specs they require, then go from there. You state that the games you play are considered middle graphics-wise ... and that's important to note.

Not to speak for HPonLinux, but maybe part of what he was meaning was that you have all the parts, but still need an OS ... and assuming you will want Windows 7 and that you don't already have it, that will add an additional $179 or so.

I'll be honest with you, I'm not much of a gamer, but I know about custom builds. When you get up into the price range of $1200-2000, you're looking high end stuff ... i.e. vid cards, mobo's, case, light shows, water cooling, and all that crazy stuff. The most important piece in my opinion is the video card . You need to know exactly what you're wanting to do - which games you're playing and their min specs. If the EVGA card is within the recommended range of cards for the games you want to play and it's all you can afford ... then I say go for it. You've got a quad core CPU and a decent mobo and good memory. They're not high end, but not low end either.

I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but so-called "Hardcore Gamers" feel the need to go all bat-$#@ crazy on buying the most expensive - latest and greatest stuff on the market. And that's fine. But if $500 is all you have and want to spend on a pc, then you do your research (as it seems you have) and find stuff that works for you and for what you want it to do.

Good luck!

I'd consider going larger on the SSD ... newegg often has shell shocker deals with 120gb SSD's for the price of 60gb. I'd look for one and in the meantime use a SATA drive if you got a spare one handy until you get a larger SSD.

BTW ... I looked through your parts and they're all compatible. You've even got 2 fans coming with the case. I might suggest (like HPonLinux) grabbing 1 or 2 more fans. By the looks of it, your case has 2 120mm fan spaces in the front where you HD's go.

Personally, I think you're good to go. Keeping in mind that you haven't stated if you already have an OS, which would add to your cost if you don't and you're going with W7.

Last edited:
All the custom builds I've helped on (never felt a need to do a custom pc myself) are hardcore gamers and guess how I picked up going high end on custom builds.

all of the components (from my knowledge) are compatible

---------- Post added at 11:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

I currently own a boot disk for windows 7 (which i used on the home pc i currently own) so i think im good to go. The fans are a must, i have a problem already with the pc i have now with heating up. I am definitely NOT a hardcore gamer. Though I do play quite a bit. I also need to find an optical drive, but i dont know which is the best efficient ones to look at. I figure just a simple dvdburner since i really wont be playing blu-rays.

Thank you for your help.

---------- Post added at 11:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 PM ----------

and games-wise, i already have an account on steam which my step-brother uses so im good to go with that aswell.

I'd call that an entry level gaming build. You can run most games on moderate settings.

You have no hard drive. You have a 64GB SSD which would work for a boot drive, but that will fill up very quickly. If money is tight, I would drop the SSD in favor of a 500GB hard drive.

You picked out a nice board. Plenty of room for upgrades.

Keep in mind that you picked out an OEM processor. It does not come with a heat sink. You need to purchase one.

Check your version but the last upgrade Windows discs I bought could only be put on one machine the authintication code only works once check your box and microsoft so you don't have issues after the install

Keep in mind that you picked out an OEM processor. It does not come with a heat sink. You need to purchase one.

Nice catch!

Just a thought ... you might look in the DIY section of newegg Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! and see if they have a combo kit with a lot of the parts you're looking at already put together at a discount. Or maybe find an equitable or better assembly. Could save some $$$ this way and allow yourself to spend a little more towards the video card or something else.

At the very least, look through mobo/cpu combos ... Im sure they'll have some bundled Phenom's with mobos somewhere ... save $20 or something going that route.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom