Need advice about dynamic IP...

Godfather950

Baseband Member
Ok,
I am a newb to this webserver stuff, I have decided to go with apache on a windows 2000 OS. I am running behind a Netgear WGR614 802.11g Wireless Router. This webserver will be hard wired into the router. I have a comcast cable modem, and was wondering if the whole dynamic ip vs static ip debacle applies to me. I am just going to be hosting a couple low traffic sites, and from what I understand cable modems rarely change ip addresses wven though they can because they are static. What should I do, I have looked into those free online dns redirection sites such as no-ip.com, but it seems like they are complicated and want you to put "YOURdomainNAME.no-ip.com" which I think is stupid if I am paying for my own domain name already. Please help, I am very interested in this subject.

Thanks,
Jimmy

You can host something off of a computer, not a router I believe.

Abyss Web Server, or Xampp is a web server program that you can install. You should set your server computer up with a static IP address, then set the router to forward port 80 to that address.

Go to dyndns.org and get an account there, that site is pretty good at explaining how it works.

Back
Top Bottom