Reccomend me a camcorder

Tommy Boy

Golden Master
I don't really know much about camcorders, what to look for and what is good. I know what brands are good, just don't know what to look for in features and specs.

Any advice would be appreciated
TB

I have a Sony HDD handycam with 40x zoom and a Carl Zeiss lens. It gets really good picture and works really well! It holds alot of pictures and videos. It is about 550 dollars at Best Buy. It is quite expensive but it really is the best video camera you can get imo.

Check out camcorderinfo.com, it has probably the most comprehensive reviews,or try cnet, they're good too.
As far as camcorders go, I've done a ton of research lately to try to determine what I was going to buy. It depends largely if you want Hi Definition or standard, flash drive,hard drive, dvd or minidv. The minidv are the cheapest, can produce excellent picture and good low light performance, but of course you have tapes to deal with. The dvd ones I kinda skipped over, the discs are kinda pricey and short recording time, no real advantage over the minidv tapes as I see it.
That leaves HD and Flash cam's. Having a on board hard drive is nice, as you don't need to carry extra media. However, they can be vulnerable to impact,and there's always a chance of losing you video or having something go wrong with the hard drive. Some are Hybrids,and can also use SD or mini SD cards. Probably the best option, but pricier than the others.
That leaves flash cams, which is what I decided on. The cards are small,easy to carry and switch out, can be put right into your computer and are getting cheaper too,though still a bit pricy.
I decided I wanted a high definition camera,and after a ton of research have decided on the Sanyo Xacti FH1. Sanyo is generally not known to be one of the big names in camcorders, but this one is surprising lots of the experts. The quakity of video is as good as and in most cases better than any consumer grade camcordr on the market. It, along with it's pistol grip sister cam the Xacti VP2000, are the only camcordr's that are able to shoot in 1080p at 60fps. It has the options of shooting in 1080 at 30 fp as well as several other modes, which is good because apparently the highest setting is very difficult to edit and play unless you have a very powerful computer. Which, incidentaly, is what brought me to this site!

This is an old thread, but I've made a thread about the cam I bought though, just neglected to mention it in this thread. I bought the Canon FS100

Back
Top Bottom