How do I connect my Dell Inspiron Mini to my Emerson HDTV?

AshPow

Beta member
I know I need to use a HDMI cable, my netbook and tv both have HDMI ports but I'm not sure about the kind. 1.3a? 1.3b? 1.4? It's all so confusing. Also, do any of the HDMI cables transfer video and audio? I'm thinking it must seeing as they're being used with the new 3D tv's. But of course I could be wrong. Thanks.

a regular hdmi cable will work... as far as audio goes, normally the computer can only transfer a mono signal, so if you connect it and dont have sound, change your settings to mono.

You might have to connect a separate audio cable from your laptop to your tv if the hdmi doesn't transmit sound.

As far as the kind of hdmi cable, just buy one and it'll work....lol

All HDMI cables can carry both audio and video. Where the problem will lie is your video card. It may or may be HDCP compliant, and even if it is, it can be a pain to get the audio working. If you have a surround sound system, I suggest buying a 3.5mm to RCA audio cable instead of dealing with Windows every time you want to plug it in. If you don't have a surround sound system, your TV may have a HDMI port with a 3.5 mm audio jack tied to it. My samsung TV has one.

Also, buy this HDMI cable. Since HDMI uses a digital signal, there will be no noticeable difference in picture quality between that and the $100 + cables.

Order this HDMI cable, it's all HD and pretty cheap. Amazon.com: HDMI Cable 2M (6 Feet): Electronics
If your audio isn't coming through or is coming through mono, then order this 3.5mm headphone jack to RCA adapter. Amazon.com: "2 x RCA Male / 1 x 3.5mm Stereo Female, Y-Cable, 6 inch": Electronics

Plug it all in, boom you got stereo + HD video. (as long as your desktop has high enough res it's HD.)

This user is exactly correct in recommending you to buy a cheap one. The expensive HDMI cables, while higher in price, carry NO ADVANTAGE over a cheaper one in terms of image and sound quality. I was reading a great article on Cnet that I think would really help you a lot, and the link to that is here.

Back
Top Bottom