New PC Gaming/Daily Usage

KJLai

In Runtime
Hey All,

How is everyone?

I'm looking to build a new PC. I am pretty new to it, and I found this website called PC Part picker (Pick Parts, Build Your PC, Compare and Share - PCPartPicker), its pretty handy if you want to build a PC from scratch and it will majority of the products you can look at to build a PC and how much it may cost(estimate). Along with the Compatibility.

So this is what I kind of have set up and probably may buy, somethings may change in the near future since I will be buying parts separately and not all at once.

let me know what you guys think, again this will be my first time building a computer. I am all ears to any advice. (This will be a gaming/daily PC)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/zJyvYr

Thanks!!!

I like your build. If you don't plan on running SLI (It's a waste in most situations) to use a tad lower tier motherboard, and also use a Z270 instead of a Z170 since you will be purchasing a 7700k to avoid the bios not being compatible when you receive it. Also if you don't plan on SLI you can be fine with a high quality 750w power supply. You could also do with a Corsair H75 instead of the H100i if you want around 4.7 GHZ.

I'll link you to the board and the power supply/AIO water cooler.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...3130971&cm_re=msi_z270-_-13-130-971-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...32&cm_re=Seasonic_750w-_-17-151-132-_-Product

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181058&cm_re=h75-_-35-181-058-_-Product

That's too much RAM, get 16Gb. Also replace that SSD for a 850 EVO. It has a much better price, and change that motherboard for a Z270 one so that there are no compatibility problems. And that PSU has too much wattage for that rig.

Have checked out the guide in the "Hardware" forum? There are a lot of builds we made. There is a $1800 one that is much more efficient than the one you made. Here is the link:

Guide

I just noticed this thread is pretty old but I'll leave the answer just in case.

IF you want it, build it!
I am sure that amd would say I have way way too much ram but for what I do, I need it.
Build what you want to own, that's what custom means.
Personally if I were doing a new build it would be a 2011 v3 board and a 6950x cpu and 1080ti cards.
I'd also go 256gb of quad channel ram.

I am sure that amd would say I have way way too much ram but for what I do, I need it.

I never said YOU had too much. I always say 16Gb is enough for gaming.

Build what you want to own, that's what custom means.

That is true, but not so much. I mean if that was all there is to it, then there would be no point on asking others for opinions. And the problem is people don't know what they want to own.

Getting a 1000W PSU for that rig is not smart, and that Crucial SSD is worse than a 850 and has the same price.

Personally if I were doing a new build it would be a 2011 v3 board and a 6950x cpu and 1080ti cards. I'd also go 256gb of quad channel ram.

That would cost a lot more than $1800.

Of course, but I don't like cutting corners to build a cheap system. I don't like cheap computers.

Well yeah no one does, but sometimes it's the only option.

What do you mean when you say cutting corners? As long as your system can be upgraded when your needs change, I don't see anything wrong with saving some cash. And i don't mean saving just because. If you can get a 7700K, don't get a 7100. People often don't understand that the quality of what you get is what you pay for. Also I don't think you should spend just because. I see why you'd want a 6950X, I even understand why you'd want quad channel, but not 256Gb of memory. That's just a waste. Maybe you could use the money for a better cooler, a cooler for your cards, a better motherboard, better storage, better monitor, speakers, sound card, or faster RAM even. There is always something to spend on, and limited money, so wasting it in something you won't use shouldn't be an option.

Solid build. The power supply looks like it may be overdoing it a bit, but if you intend on getting a second graphics card in future (or a more power hungry one) then probably a wise choice!

If you're happy to spend the money on an i7 then great. I tend to opt for the high-end i5 chips with my recommendations (like an i5-7600K) as to me, the extra money doesn't warrant the comparatively minor increase in performance. As usual, the law of diminishing returns does apply!

In the name of saving money, I'd personally just buy 16GB of RAM to start with (just the one 8GBx2 kit), monitor the usage and see how close it gets to being fully utilised. If you're regularly using more than 12GB of RAM, then for the sake of "futureproofing" I'd choose to get the second 16GB kit.

Only other thing I can note is a lack of optical drive. Not really an issue so much these days as I'm sure the majority of us here download a lot of our content, but a basic DVD player or Blu-ray reader often comes in handy.

Back
Top Bottom