Windows Defender as your main anti virus?

breebreebran31

Solid State Member
I've seen dozens of forums and web pages saying it isn't smart to use windows defender as your anti virus.
But why?
they never give a reason. They just say it's not smart.

Windows defender is a Anti spyware program and should not be confused as a Anti virus program.

I would go with Malwarebytes as your Anti spyware program, and go with either Avast or AVG as your free Anti virus to protect your computer.

EDIT: you can still use Windows Defender, but it won't protect you like the above programs i suggested.

Last edited:
Windows defender is a Anti spyware program and should not be confused as a Anti virus program.

I would go with Malwarebytes as your Anti spyware program, and go with either Avast or AVG as your free Anti virus to protect your computer.

EDIT: you can still use Windows Defender, but it won't protect you like the above programs i suggested.

+1 avast is what I use in tandem with malwarebytes and super anti spyware

I've always used AVG and I love it paired with Malwarebytes is a team that cant be beat. I just recently started using Malwarebytes. My grandma had Savingsbull (a really annoying program that causes a crap load of pop-ups) on her computer and no matter what I did I couldn't get it off. I had read a lot of good reviews on Malwarebytes and decided to give it a try and I wasn't disappointed it removed savingsbull and some other software that was causing issues. I now have it installed on all of my PC's

It depends on just what kind of security you want. While free programs like AVG, Avast!, and Comodo are pretty good they will not compare to paid variants such as Vipre and Sophos. No matter what ones you do get you should always couple them with MalwareBytes and SpyBot Search and Destroy.

Together the few things that get by your anti virus programs SpyBot and MalwareByes will get rid of.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Computer Forums mobile app

Back
Top Bottom