Virus survives through clean OS install?

Jmaloney

Solid State Member
I have a coworker that is having strange issues on his dell laptop. Sorry I dont have a lot of details, but heres a basic rundown--

The longer he is in windows, the more difficult it gets to use the touchpad... Like, it registers your finger, but it makes the mouse cursor jump all over the place, plugging in a USB mouse fixes the issue.

It also brings up the windows search tool constantly, and the more you close the window, the more search windows that pop up.
Obviously this seems like it would be some kind of malware, but he did a fresh Install of Windows Vista and wiped the hard drive last night and the issue still persisted...

I was thinking maybe he has a jump drive with a virus or someone on his network could be hosting...

Any thoughts?

Edit-- before the clean OS install we had him bring it and we used malwarebytes and removed about 6 or so trojans... the problem came back when he went home.

That actually sounds like a hardware issue. Did that person spill a liquid on his computer recently?

DBAN the hard drive, then install windows off the official CD. Do not setup networking or plug in any external drives. Then just play around on it for a while. If the issue persists (I'm fairly certain it will) then it's a hardware issue. If it does not reoccur, then it was most likely a virus hiding somewhere.

Did you install Antivirus after the installation of Windows and update it with latest virus definations? Try to install all the Windows security updates from Microsoft and Antivirus and the run a complete virus scan on your computer.

Solution provided by
Sheraz - Network Support Analyst
Civnom Technologies
civnom.co.uk

Back
Top Bottom