Telnet trouble

-Austin-

Solid State Member
Hi everyone. This is my first post and sorry I'm asking for help but I'm kinda stuck.

I have been trying to connect with my roomates computer using Telnet but it's just not working. I portscanned his computer with superscan and found only 3 UDP ports open(7, 137, 161) and I tried using them with telnet but it just goes blank.

Here's what happened:

c:\documents and settings\USER>telnet

Welcom to Microsoft Telnet Client

Escape character is 'Ctrl+]'

Microsoft Telnet>o
( To ) ***.**.**.***
connecting to ***.**.**.***...Could not open connection to host on Port 23:connect failed
Microsoft Telnet>o
( To ) ***.**.**.*** 7
connecting to ***.**.**.***...

Then the cursor just sits at the end of the "connecting to" line and i cant do anything and nothing happens.

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
-Austin-

haha sorry for saying sorry :p

Anyways, I'm running Sygate Personal Firewall but I even disabled it for a minute and tried again but I still came across the same problem.

That has nothing to do with it, firewall is not the issue. The issue is, he does not have telnet server running on his computer. You cant just connect to any port and run commands. 137 is NetBios name service, not sure what the others are, but he would need to have a telnet server running on his computer.

uid=[0] is correct in the fact you need to be running a telnet server before you can connect. And the default port for telnet is 23. Just do a search on telnet server and plenty come up for Windows. If you was running Linux, you can run a telnet server very easily. With the port scan, you're not showing port 23 open, but that doesn't mean anything, because the computer the firewall is on, is not running a server, that is "listening" for connections. If a port can send but cannot recieve, it looks closed to the outside world. You have two choices, a telnet server for Windows, or switch to a cheap Linux box.

What OS are you and your roomate using? If he has XP Pro and you have at least 2000 Pro or even XP home you could just use remote desktop.

OK, so what you're saying is that he would have to make his telnet client listen on port 23 before i could connect to it? For some reason I had the notion that telnet was always listening on every box. OK so next order of business, how do i configure his comp to listen on port 23? Do I do it in cmd or is there a windows interface somewhere that will help me through it?

P.S. we are both running XP Home

You have to be running the telnet server software, before you can configure it. I did a search in google, and most Windows-based telnet servers are only free trials- (Thanks to Bill). That's why I mentioned Linux in my initial post. I'm not sure if telnet server software for Windows is anywhere out there for free, but it looks as if you will have to search for it.

telnet software for windows does indeen exist....

If you have XP pro then you can just turn on the telnet server that come with windows, (cheers bill, -not only free but also included)
start > control pannel > administrative tools > services
find telnet tell it to start automatically.

If he has xp home then I'd say a good telnet server is the kpdm telnet server (again free)
http://kpym.sourceforge.net

just a bit of clarification...

you can't telnet to his machine unless he has a telnet server running that allows you access.
him running a telnet client won't help. it has to be a server.
after this he's going to have to allow port 23 on his firewall to be open.

last but not least, after all of this you're going to need to have a username and password to logon to the computer.

Back
Top Bottom