spyware

clairevee

Beta member
This could be an annoying question but I have to ask. I run 4 or 5 spyware programs, like Adaware, Spybot, Spysweep, AVG spyware and I have Earthlink Protection Control Center which does a Spyware scan.

My question is this: I do a regular check once a week and EVERY week and EVERY time, I get the same Tracking Cookies and some programs show different ones, but it is the same ones on that program and week after week after week, I quarantine these suckers but they NEVER go away, am I wasting my time?

Basically, I ask this because it takes Spysweep over an hour to do a complete scan and to do all my scans, I need at least three hours and it is getting to be a pain in the you know what...

Any advice? Oh! please be kind, I'm a dummy and I admit it. :p Just don't like anyone telling me that.... :)

Thanks, Claire

I do use the Firefox browser but I still get the tracking cookies on my spyware programs. Maybe you could be more helpful and elaborate a wee bit more?

Thanks, Claire

Well, you could go to Tools - Options - Privacy - and in the Cookies - Accept Cookies From Sites in the drop down menu there should be three options... 1) They expire, 2) I close FireFox, and 3) Ask me every time. I use number two so that all my cookies are cleared every time Firefox closes.

Edit: I don't see why Spy Sweeper should take that long to scan your system either (of course it depends on a lot of things) on my Laptop: 1GhZ Celeron, 256 RAM, 10Gig HDD, it takes about 15 minutes and on the computer in my signature it takes about 30 minutes.

well umm cookies dont really do anything but do what toby said

and you wont get spyware if you dont download anything suspicious and you use firefox

even macs (which dont get spyware) get cookies

lol, of course they get cookies too. But as already said, most of the time the cookies are harmless and you don't need to worry about them. And well, if you want to run them and not waste time then you could just start them when you go to sleep and they will be complete when you wake up.

I don't think you need 5 ad ware things! Only one would be adaqite. All you need is one spyware softwar, firewall and an anti virus, that should be fine. :)

I've found that cookies are harmless. Sure they turn up in spyware scans but they're usually harmless. When I run spyware scans that's all that ever turns up and I just delete them and nothing bad ever happens.

Some cookies are tracking cookies tho. Try running your spyware scans in safe mode. I personally run 4 different spyware progs, because what one program misses another one will catch.

Back
Top Bottom