Recent Cyber Bullying

Status
Not open for further replies.

stratusdodge

In Runtime
I'm sure you've all seen the latest. This little girl has been forced to sell her iPod because her mom caught her cyberbulling. Thoughts?

Do you think that installing software like FlashCrest iSpy is really necessary for parents these days?

LifeIsntFair.jpg

Oh my god. What is wrong with this girl's parents? This level of public shaming should never be considered an acceptable punishment for a child. My father used to do it to me (albeit on a much smaller scale, and for much pettier things) and all it did was cause me to hate both him and myself. Putting her face all over the internet for complete strangers to gawk at is just cruel. What happens ten years from now, when a potential employer or date searches her name? This is going to come up. (I highly doubt this parent made any attempt to really hide the last name.) All because of a stupid mistake she made while still a child. I really wish people would realize this and stop spreading this stuff.

Hopefully it's fake though. The fact that her poster got the capitalization correct for the program seems really fishy. I'm inclined to believe it's just an attempt at some sort of viral advertisement.

Last edited:
I can't tell if it's fake or not, but if it really happened that mother over reacted big time & embarrassing that little girl like that was uncalled for. Not to mention making her sell her ipod...geez, children make mistakes. :whistling:

I think it all depends on how far the girl went in her cyber bullying. First & minor offence where she got caught this is over the top, but otherwise I applaud the mom.

Most kids these days do not realize that actions have consequences and what better way to teach them than to put them in the situation they created for an innocent person. What this is, in my opinion, is no different than a chain-gang or people in orange jump suits cleaning up the town.

If it was only the first offence then that is over the top but either way I think that the selling good of the iPod is a good punishment. She should certainly learn her lesson. But as for the public side of it that is a step too far.

Mossiac

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Computer Forums mobile app

I agree what she did was wrong and having to sell her iPod is a fair punishment but naming and shaming her publicly is taking it a bit to far. Whilst we we are on the topic of bullying, Where everyone lives is there a law that makes bullying a criminal offence, Here in Australia only in Victoria bullying is a criminal offence and there is a big push for all the state and federal governments to make it that way after a teenage girl committed suicide due to bullying and there has been rally's and petitions with heavy support for it.

+1 to foothead for pointing out the ad attempt.

However, I don't think kids really learn anything from these public shaming things (holding signs "I messed up, I suck at life"). If the above is a true story, the only thing this girl learned was to not bully on her computer. "Here, hold this picture so people know you suck" doesn't get the message across that "your actions were wrong, and here's why...", it simply sends a message of "If I catch you, I'll do the same to you" which presents a double standard, causing confusion, and does nothing to stop the behavior. If anything, she's justifying it through poor discipline.

Photo of a little girl called Haily, Prank post or not I do not know who she is or where from.
The post is misleading unless the OP can prove if more info was posted with the photo.

The Op post question was about installing spyware by parents not about bullying.

After I did a visual image search on Google (Search Results) a lot of the results seem to be just meme sites and reddit but I came across this article Is Mom's Online Shaming of Daughter Right Punishment for Cyberbullying? | Country 93.5. This is what the girl says
“My name is Hailey. I am a kind, caring, smart girl, but I make poor choices with social media. As a punishment, I am selling my iPod and will be donating the money to the charity Beat Bullying, in hopes of changing my behavior as well as bringing awareness to bullying. Because bullying is wrong.“

However, I don't think kids really learn anything from these public shaming things (holding signs "I messed up, I suck at life"). If the above is a true story, the only thing this girl learned was to not bully on her computer. "Here, hold this picture so people know you suck" doesn't get the message across that "your actions were wrong, and here's why...", it simply sends a message of "If I catch you, I'll do the same to you" which presents a double standard, causing confusion, and does nothing to stop the behavior. If anything, she's justifying it through poor discipline.

Pretty much. It causes a fear reaction rather than legitimately realizing your actions were wrong. Most likely, this is also going to cause anxiety issues where she always feels like she's being watched/judged by others, especially parents. It definitely did for me, at least. I still avoid doing things that I would considered slightly embarassing out of fear, even if there's absolutely no realistic way anybody could be observing. I doubt she even considered the possibility of spyware on the computer, so what else could be out there that she can't even think of? That's pretty much what starts it, until it becomes an automatic reaction to everything. At least, that's my experience. I have a sample size of one, so it's hard to say just how prevalent that reaction is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom