Question on Serials, updates and activation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarence

In Runtime
I'm relatively new in I.T. :angel:but just wondering as I've heard friends talking and so on...."Lets just say two PC's with a Microsoft OS carrying the same activation serial....I'm supposing if Micorsoft updates is turned on - on both PC's they will revoke one? or both PC's might crash? is this true?:confused:What about a cracked OS from a torrent site is this safe and go undetected by microsoft?.......I want some info on this please will be helpful............

Finally, what about an Antivirus carrying a cracked serial and still being to update virus definitions can the antivirus vendor detect this?

I find these issues a bit puzzling can someone discuss this with me..:)

For Microsoft, they can and do detect this. I've seen them do everything form disabling key windows components needed to make the computer anything other than a fancy paperweight until you give it a valid key, to completely disable the computer requiring a full reformat. Considering it's also illegal, they'd also have enough info to send the cops out to you and arrest you if so desired.

Same thing with anti-virus software assuming the company is worth what normal people pay for only they'd just disable their own software.

Bottom line, cracked (and illegal) software is never safe to use.

Agree with Celegrom, although it is certainly tempting and easy enough to do it is not recommended. You also have to be careful if you don't work on it yourself.... if you have it worked on at computer stores and whatnot, most are required to rat you out if they see even the slightest hint of something related to torrents or other illegal activity.

So the answer to your question is most certainly yes... they can track you. Will they? It depends, some people can get away with running torrented OS s and softwares no problem for years. Other people may do it once and get screwed over. So while you may go completely unnoticed and have no problems, theres always a chance you will get caught.

-Thomas
-Certified Computer Technician

I did not know you could have the same copy of widows on two machines at the same time, I thought when you tried to activate it it would not work and you would need to deactivate the old one first, it is my understanding you can transfere OS from one pc to another but only one at a time,, I think microsoft let you do this every 90Days as they understand you might have a HDD failure or upgade the machine and so one and so fourth...there are many reasons for reinstalling a OS, normaly it takes a call and they will deativeate your old machine and activate your new one this will only work on retail edditions I think OEM edditions are set to one machine only...

So no you cant use a OS twice at once, however you can install it legally on one machine and then install it again on another machine but not activate it, normaly it will run for 30 days without activation, you could then crack it with a number of tools that can be had online....you now have a Illegal copy without haveing to download a torrent and risk it being part of a botnet ect....so its a Clean illgal copy.

Iv never hered of being tracked from using a cracked OS though and beening arrested or anything...

PERSONLY I AM NOT A FAN OF USEING CRACKED SOFTWARE AND AM AMAZED WE HAVE BEEN ABLE TO TALK ABOUT IT ON THIS FOURM...NORMALY THESE TOPICS ARE LOCKED, I WOULD SUGGEST YOU JUST BUY ANOTHER COPY

However with the above statement said, I will admit, If I had built a nice Hi End new machine I would use a LEGAL copy, but for a cheap machine made from second hand parts thats really beyond its time I would not buy a OS for and would use a not legal copy and do, its up to you and the risk you want to take.

Last edited by a moderator:
from what I understand some OS's will allow you to use the same serial on up to 3 computers I'm not 100% sure but thats what I've been told by IT's

^ That all depends on the Licence aggrement when you buy your windows copy, you can still only install each copy on one machine, think of it as buying three copys but all on the same disc....

You can get versions that let you install it load and loads of times for schools and such and also you can get versions that can be installed unlimted amounts of times but only last X Time and then you need to buy a septate licence ect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom