help,please

cpc

Beta member
when I turned my comp. on this morning this window cam up it looked like a comand prompt but went away, then when i went on to the web a bunch of popups came up, i went to my programs and a few new programs showed up i deleted them and forgot their names, but I could not delete one called
hswpxceA. and now when i try going to my firewall it says due to unidentified problem, windo cant display windows firewall settings. please I need help. :confused:

(i have a gateway mx7118 with norton and windows defender they said that all programs are working fine.)

One more reason I don't like Norton. I'm not sure what's been going on with Windows Defender, it used to be a good program, now it's jus a memory hog. It sounds like you have an infestation of adware/spyware and possibly some viruses. If you have Internet connectivity, you should perform an online scan at http://housecall.trendmicro.com/. Also, try downloading and installing either AVG or Avast, two of the best free antivirus programs on the market. For the spyware/adware, try downloading adaware se personal, and spybot search and destroy. Install, update, and run all these. See what they can remove. If you still have problems after that, or any of the above programs find a lot of things, I would recommend a clean format and reinstall- but make this your last option.

pctechmike said:
One more reason I don't like Norton. I'm not sure what's been going on with Windows Defender, it used to be a good program, now it's jus a memory hog. It sounds like you have an infestation of adware/spyware and possibly some viruses. If you have Internet connectivity, you should perform an online scan at http://housecall.trendmicro.com/. Also, try downloading and installing either AVG or Avast, two of the best free antivirus programs on the market. For the spyware/adware, try downloading adaware se personal, and spybot search and destroy. Install, update, and run all these. See what they can remove. If you still have problems after that, or any of the above programs find a lot of things, I would recommend a clean format and reinstall- but make this your last option.

or better yet, go to www.f-secure.com and download their beta version of Internet Security 2007, cause it is free for now and does everything you just mentioned. Plus it's antispyware engine runs in the background, protecting you BEFORE you get infected

I did everything you guys said and it semed to work, but when i log on today the comand prompt came up and avast said that I had even more,even in my system restor , so broght it to a computer shop and asked if they could do something, they could'nt so I went to staples and the gave me a brand new computer.

LMFAO, they couldn't fix some spyware and pop ups so they gave you a new pc, now that takes the cake. It has to be one of the best stories of incompetence I've ever heard.

Good score for you :D

leave it to gateway to do something like that, sounds like you were given a refurbished machine to me, but who knows.

cpc said:
I did everything you guys said and it semed to work, but when i log on today the comand prompt came up and avast said that I had even more,even in my system restor , so broght it to a computer shop and asked if they could do something, they could'nt so I went to staples and the gave me a brand new computer.

dude, where do you live cause i should setup my own IT business there, lmfao

Back
Top Bottom