hard drive ripped illegally, can I do anything?

binderdonedat

Beta member
Hey guys, here's the thing. We have had a very disreputable client working at our studio recently, so I was wondering...

Is it possible to find or obtain a log file or some record of what files may have been ripped/ extracted from a hard drive - as in - if I grabbed an external drive off a shelf, connected it via USB or firewire to my laptop, and ripped a bunch of files?

The reason I ask is because I noticed today that after leaving my computer case in the control room, my hard drive (230 Gig drive I always carry with me), was mysteriously out of my case and on a table, and my USB cable is nowhere to be found. Oddly enough, I had left the control room to attend a short meeting 1 floor up, and during that time my engineer had mentioned this bozo was in the control room alone during my absense. He was only in there to pick up some keyboard gear, but my engineer now tells me it seemed he was in the room a lot longer than neccessary to just pack up a few cables and take his board. That + the fact that my drive was out of the case has me freaking a bit.

I have alot of audio, WAV files and valuable sample data on that drive, and it's fairly well known as well because I produce alot of music for alot of people from this studio. It's like my go between drive from home office and my studio, so I am wondering if there is any log file or way of finding out what - if anything - may have been extracted from my drive?

I hope someone here can help, this guy is a real bozo and I wouldn't put it past him. Thanx all!

unless there is a special program on the hardrive to tell that kinda stuff or permissions on whatever computer was used idk if there is really a way 2 tell. maybe the dates on the files themselves will say the time they were last accessed or something. try it and see how that does for u

well that graph doesn't tell me anything... i'm not really sure what 2 tell ya... see if the last accessed dates are after u last used it is the best thing i can come ^ with....u ought 2 get an encryptian program so that kinda thing wont happen again

MooseMan said:
well that graph doesn't tell me anything... i'm not really sure what 2 tell ya... see if the last accessed dates are after u last used it is the best thing i can come ^ with....u ought 2 get an encryptian program so that kinda thing wont happen again

Didn't see the previous post so I m in the dark to the whole "graph" issue :) but here's the thing with my drive...

I have this this program called "folder lock" - the program is located on my C drive at home. I've had it forever so I just got lazy and used that to lock sensitive and valuable files. This program does encrypt and lock out casual computer users, I am just not sure how trustworthy it is against this guy, who is a professed hacker wannabe. I was in the process of searching for a worthwhile encryption program when this incident occured. Sucks for sure. Has anyone heard of folder lock and is it at least somewhat competent?

however, if the data was encrypted by "folder lock" do you know how this data appear on another users system.

It shows up hidden to everyone except you. You can only view it on your computer, after you enter the password you used to encrypt the directory.

Back
Top Bottom