Can Virus/Hacker Log Into My Network?

jakeny

Baseband Member
So, I think I had a virus/hacker on my old laptop and desktop (both are literally dead - can't even turn them on now). :facepalm:

I suspect that a virus/hacker did some stuff and destroyed them. Lots of symptoms like a super slow computer, stuff on my computer desktop that was out of place (deleted or moved), and constant crashes and freezes and bizarre computer messages about issues (at start up and randomly popping up after startup as well) that I had no idea what they meant.

Anyhow, I'm on a new comp and I'm wondering if there really was a hacker in the past whether or not he/she could log into my network if he/she found out my info. in the past and then from there go on to infect/attack my NEW computer??? My new machine isn't hooked up to my Verizon Wireless network yet. I'm slightly scared and wanted to double-check first, so it's just been running non-internet stuff for my school work right now.

I know the new computer itself won't have a virus and I'm going to install an anti-virus next week. So, it's safe now. But can hackers know your network info and log into it themselves (not through your computer, but through their own...and even if they live far away)?

If so, could a hacker then attack/destroy my new computer? Should I ask Verizon for a new network password? I'm crazy paranoid after getting infected with viruses in the past.

Last edited:
Well it is pretty difficult for someone to just get into your network unless they were physically close to your wireless router. It was most likely and very nasty malware sounds like a worm. Your new computer is fine to be on the network it's just that the old computer is suffering from that nasty virus.

Hey, dude. Thanks for the comment. Are you saying that my internet connection can only be accessed within a certain physical distance?

Sorry if I sound techno dumb. Don't know anything about computers and stuff. I'm a history and economics major.

If this is true, however, then why do people recommend that you change your router password to begin with? If the only person able to hack into my network are my neighbors or something like that close range, then I mostly feel safe in my neighborhood (we know everyone). But I guess it doesn't hurt to be extra safe...maybe some crazy person could hack me who lived far away and just wanted to mess with me and come near my house? lol. :D

Also you can get a virus from a download. If the software you downloaded had a hidden trojan virus attatched to it, the trojan can alert the hacker who made the trojan and he can take completely over your computer and steal info.

So just becareful what you download, also make sure you scan everything you download to be on the safe side.

Well it is pretty difficult for someone to just get into your network unless they were physically close to your wireless router. It was most likely and very nasty malware sounds like a worm. Your new computer is fine to be on the network it's just that the old computer is suffering from that nasty virus.

I'm going to regret this, I can feel it in my bones.

On the internet any one can get in to any one's computer. You don't have to be close. Look at the Chinese hackers getting in to US systems. They're half way around the world.

Both systems dead, sounds like to me a power spike. Thunder storm, ice/snow storm where the power flickers on and off. All produce spikes on the lines that can KILL a computer.

OP Get a UPS. They're cheap insurance. APC all they way.

Back
Top Bottom