WTB: PSU or 8600GT

bullzi

Fully Optimized
Hey guys, just nailed a decent HP tower but needs a GPU. I have a 7800GTX I could throw in, which would mean I'd need a new PSU with enough molex to convert or a PCI-e.

But I'd rather go for an 8600GT or similar card.

So, if you have a decent PSU sitting around or an 8600/similar GPU, let me know. I'm certainly not looking at spending a whole lot here..

How does the 7800GTX compare to the 8600GT? Does it have 2 DVI-D inputs? I'd be willing to do a trade. I'd even throw in cash if it's unbalanced. I'm going up to KC this Saturday to look for a car, if you want I can stop by Topeka. I don't think my parents would be to opposed even though they're driving.

edit: I just realized that the 7800GTX doesn't have DX10 support. I don't game that much, so it's not too big of an issue. However, I'd like to know if it will run W7 themes (aero?), which was one of various features that I bought W7 for.

They're fairly similar actually, though I can't really find any good benchmarks.

I have a 256MB 7800GTX, it has 2 DVI's. Only issue is I replaced the OEM fan and somewhat ghetto rigged a 92mm on top..

I'll have to check on the aero deal, not sure on that.

So would you be trading an 8600 for the 7800? Or is this a PSU trade.. wasn't quite sure on that.

Oh sorry for not being clear. I would be trading the 8600GT for the 7800GTX. That's why I asked how they compare and if the 7800GTX has support for Aero. I know performance wise it's slightly better than the 8600GT, however it doesn't have DX10 support.

I've searched to see if the 7800 will support Aero, haven't found any concrete answers yes or no.. once I'm home tonight I'll throw it in my windows 7 rig and see if it will run aero then let you know.

I'll see where this goes with Joga, then I'll let you know about the GTS. I'm mainly looking for a card that doesn't require a pci-e power so I can just throw it in.

Got busy last night unexpectedly when a friends car had some issues, so I'll give it a go this evening and let you know. Shipping from here to Wichita would just be a couple bucks and take a day or two, so that sounds good.

If the 7800GTX doesn't support Aero, I'd be willng to do a 3-way trade with ohnoes so you still get a card that doesn't need the pci-e power pin. I don't know how we'd work that out, but I'd be willing to try.

Back
Top Bottom