Zonelabs vs. Norton

G9

Daemon Poster
This thread is going to bring up a lot of issues I need covered:

Zonelabs vs. Norton
Which is better? For the one you picked, is this a good choice?

Firewalls
I've heard that running one firewall is good, and that running multiple instances is bad. Is this true?

If so, how can I find out how many firewalls are running on my computer? My 2Wire homeportal (router?) is running a firewall, but I'm not sure if it covers my computer, which is connected via wireless adapter, not to the homeportal itself. I also think that Windows is running a firewall, as well as Norton. Which of the three should I keep running?

G9 said:

Zonelabs vs. Norton

Firewalls
I've heard that running one firewall is good, and that running multiple instances is bad. Is this true?

If so, how can I find out how many firewalls are running on my computer? My 2Wire homeportal (router?) is running a firewall, but I'm not sure if it covers my computer, which is connected via wireless adapter, not to the homeportal itself. I also think that Windows is running a firewall, as well as Norton. Which of the three should I keep running?

Okay, this is a matter of oppinion of course, BUT...

Zone Alarm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zone alarm is a better FIREWALL than pretty much anything I think.

Yes, running more than one software firewall will most likely not be very good. The firewalls could end up interfering with each other causing them not to work like they were intended to.

However, running a software firewall and a routers "Firewall" (NAT) is fine.

ANY computer connected to a router (with NAT) is covered by the NAT unless it is in the DMZ (demilitarized zone) but that is something you would need to have set in the config. page.

If you are running a firewall you would know it. You would be able to see it in the taskbar, or, you would be notified if it came with another program; Norton for example.

If you have any more questions, just ask ;)

Personally, I prefer to use Norton over Zonelabs. I have Norton on all of my computers, and I have never had one bit of trouble with Norton.

zonelabs! i absolutely hate norton. it eats up all the resources, and barely does anything. zonelabs is a lot better

David Ireland said:
Okay, this is a matter of oppinion of course, BUT...

Zone Alarm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Zone alarm is a better FIREWALL than pretty much anything I think.

Yes, running more than one software firewall will most likely not be very good. The firewalls could end up interfering with each other causing them not to work like they were intended to.

However, running a software firewall and a routers "Firewall" (NAT) is fine.

ANY computer connected to a router (with NAT) is covered by the NAT unless it is in the DMZ (demilitarized zone) but that is something you would need to have set in the config. page.

If you are running a firewall you would know it. You would be able to see it in the taskbar, or, you would be notified if it came with another program; Norton for example.

If you have any more questions, just ask ;)
What about wirelessly connected rigs? And is a router the same thing as the homeportal?

Okay, that's cool... so that constantly runs, should I also run software firewalls like zonelabs and computers not directly connected? (wireless)

G9 said:

Zonelabs vs. Norton

Firewalls

I used to use a few Firewalls including Zone Alarm, however since I switch to Outpost Pro 3.5 I've never looked back...

But as for Zonelabs vs Norton, go with Zonelabs.

Back
Top Bottom