Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-07-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
Beta Member

Lightbulb Would a virus lookup hotels or was a person using my comp?

I am not sure if this was a virus or something such as a trojan looking this up, or an actual person looking this up. Which is more likely?

In the history for Windows Explorer (vista toshiba laptop) there are some things from a couple weeks ago which I did not go to. There are two links in the history to a site that is about hotels in a town in Germany. And then there is also another link to the average monthly weather temperatures for that same town. There was a trojan or virus on the computer around this same time which was on it for a day or two until removed, and another accidentally gotten seperately a couple days later while looking up stuff for work.

The first one was called JET____ , the _'s were numbers I can't remember. But it did bring up popups which played classical music. I don't think these were for hotels, has anyone gotten these popups or heard of this JET virus? And is it likely that a virus, trojan, etc., could cause something like this or even be that specific as to look or pop up hotels and weather temperatures? This was around the beginning of December. Has anyone had a similar virus or heard of one?

1-10 == 1-virus 10-no virus
1-being more likely/most definitely able to be caused by a virus/trojan 10-not being able to be caused by any known viruses/trojans at all

Rolex2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to SPuNKYbd Send a message via MSN to SPuNKYbd Send a message via Yahoo to SPuNKYbd Send a message via Skype™ to SPuNKYbd
Default Re: Would a virus lookup hotels or was a person using my comp?

Someone was most likely on your computer. Where is this computer at work or at home?

Do a complete virus scan using your favorite program, and see if it comes up with anything. Most viruses will have loads of pop-ups and redirect you to weird pages but wont end up in your browsers search bar unless you or the unknown person types it in.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:01 AM   #3
Daemon Poster

Default Re: Would a virus lookup hotels or was a person using my comp?

Your ip address can be used to trace your (vague) physical location. Mine, for example, traces to the next town over. You probably have a weird ip and those popups would have been for your town or a near one had it been normal.

Toshiba Satellite | Core2Duo @ 2.0 ghz | 3gb ram | 250 gb hd | lolintelgma | Ubuntu 10.04
dudelewis1 is offline   Reply With Quote