Windows defender is finally there

AMD_man

Fully Optimized
Windows defender is finally at the top of the pyramid.

Windows_10.png

Source: https://www.av-test.org/en/antiviru...-2018/microsoft-windows-defender-4.12-182247/

Bottom line is that it is as good as anything else. None of them are 100% effective including Windows Defender. It's saving grace over ALL the others is that it dosen't nag nag nag you.

I've always rated it for people who only use their PCs for basic use. Simple, effective, free.

Bottom line is that it is as good as anything else. None of them are 100% effective including Windows Defender. It's saving grace over ALL the others is that it dosen't nag nag nag you.
Exactly. Today Defender is somehow better, for example, than AVG. It used to be at the bottom of the list. I remember last year, it had a protection rating of 4!
I've always rated it for people who only use their PCs for basic use. Simple, effective, free.
Of course. However, it became more than that now.

Ever since it was presented on Windows 7 I stopped using anti-virus software. If it's the same, it used to be called Windows Security Essentials or something and it was a stand alone not built in.

If my memory serves me right, lawsuits against it took place. This is stupid.

Ever since it was presented on Windows 7 I stopped using anti-virus software. If it's the same, it used to be called Windows Security Essentials or something and it was a stand alone not built in.

If my memory serves me right, lawsuits against it took place. This is stupid.

Your memory serves you okay,nearly. It was called Microsoft Security Essentials or MSE. I used that for years and I came to no harm although it did used to get poor ratings. Windows Defender was the anti-malware part of the Microsoft security suite back then but now Windows Defender is the built in Microsoft anti virus that made it's debut with Windows 8 initially.

As I say no antivirus program is 100% effective and now Windows Defender is about as good as any. It isn't a resources hog like Norton or McAffee and dosn't nag you like the vast majority of the other free ones. These days noone needs to pay for an anti virus program in my opinion. Of course there will always be Windows Defender knockers simply because it's a Microsoft program.

Anti-virus is or used to be a nice little earner for the industry. A more cynical me would say Microsoft weren't too concerned about making a more secure OS. Similar to the oil industry and the motor manufacturers pushing back against electric. Less so now, consumers are far more knowledgable about security and privacy and expect a secure OS out of the box.

I don't know about the US, but I don't think people care that much about privacy here. I mean, almost everyone uses Facebook. Even I do. Sometimes I don't understand what the big deal is. What does everyone need to hide? So what if they profit off my privacy? I'm using their products for free anyways. Money has to come from somewhere, and it clearly isn't from me.

Second that.

I do put my pics on FB, no problem (hey, look at my profile pic here!). I even use my real name. Others, specially Westerners, use borrowed names and never put their pics. Best I know is keeping their galleries and profiles private for non-friends. This is most noticeable on web forums. The ones I know (knew) on a forum I left always complained about stalking. Is stalking a thing in the West?

Second that.

I do put my pics on FB, no problem (hey, look at my profile pic here!). I even use my real name. Others, specially Westerners, use borrowed names and never put their pics. Best I know is keeping their galleries and profiles private for non-friends. This is most noticeable on web forums. The ones I know (knew) on a forum I left always complained about stalking. Is stalking a thing in the West?

Stalking is a thing in the west as it, probably, is in your part of the world. The area you are in, not specifically your country, there is a hell of a lot more going on so I would think that stalking is not something that people are too worried about there. People put their children's pictures up on FB and that can have devastating consequences, associated with stalking, which if you think about it are pretty obvious. If an adult puts their pictures up all well and good, in theory they should know what they are doing. Some adults put innocent pictures of their children on social media sites and then these pictures can be altered in ways that are, lets just say, not acceptable. Of course you also have the sickos that post real abhorrent pictures of children and adults on social media. So, in short, yes there is a huge problem with all social media websites that needs to be addressed. The big problem is that in reality the only way to address these problems is to shut the web sites down. I'm afraid that if the people who run social media web sites don't get their houses in order that is what will happen. You may say that what I have posted is nothing to do with stalking. It is, that is how these sickos get their material. So you see stalking is not just about someone looking at your profile and page and then using that information to defame you. Stalking is a much much bigger problem overall than just that.

Back
Top Bottom