Who secures their network?

SuxoR

What choice did I have?..
Just curious to know how many people put some sort of security on their routers and networks. You would be surprised:]

I use some sort of wpa/wep, mac address filtering, and my DHCP only hands out two ip addresses to my two computer that are almost always on. If someone wants to get through all that (I know some people can) then they can share my connection.

You should be more worried about "honey pot" connections. Unsecured internet connections that let you right in so they can get your passwords when you visit web sites.

WPA here.

I have 2 unsecured wireless networks on the list in front of me right now. Funny thing is, they both know how to change the 'default' name but they don't seem to know how to set up any security.

I know one of them, its the married couple next door. They've used her first name... 'mel's belkin network'. These 2 unsecured networks have been running for months.

Might have to go around and tell them they might want to start using some security. :D

There is probably money to be made just driving around finding unsecure networks, knocking on the door and asking if they would like it secured for $50.

my network is secured by firewall at the internet end and WEP security at the local wireless end.

this isn't an ideal situation. as wep can be broken, but it's all I can support on my phone.

I would us MAC address filtering, but for one reasons.
1, that means friends find it more difficult to get on, and sometimes a friend will come around with a laptop/phone and want to use the wireless. -and that'd mean me asking what their mac address is, explaining what a mac address is and then altering the wireless router.

I would us MAC address filtering, but for one reasons.
1, that means friends find it more difficult to get on, and sometimes a friend will come around with a laptop/phone and want to use the wireless. -and that'd mean me asking what their mac address is, explaining what a mac address is and then altering the wireless router.

For me, in the rare case that comes up for me, i just temporarily disable MAC filtering.

Back
Top Bottom