Who has TrueCrypt?

Chris10178

Beta member
Hi everyone,
Who here on ComputerForums has the freeware program called TrueCrypt? I installed that program, followed all instructions correctly but not long after installing the program (about a week later) my entire computer crashed and won't get past the boot menu. In saying this, I wanted to know whether TrueCrypt has the ability to do this or do you think that it may have been another program?

TrueCrypt is an encryption suite obviously, and as such, yes it could cause that. But, only if you encrypted your boot files (BCDEdit/Boot.ini, System.ini, NTDETECT, NTLDR etc).

Normally, when done properly, bitlocker (Windows 7 encryption program) creates a seperate partition for the boot files if it isnt already there ( 100MB System Reserved). If you just encrypted your whole drive without seperating your core boot files, this is common.

Hi Darkseeker, thanks for your response. I didn't encrypt my entire drive, I had things like PDF files etc encrypted. I encrypted them into my "M" drive I believe - wasn't exactly sure which drive to put them into, so that may have been the cause. Otherwise, I followed and understood all other instructions.

OK - so the computer person has repaired my computer and he said that it was two operating systems installed, and they were fighting each other. Can TrueCrypt do this? If so, I may have to find another way to encrypt my docs.

Na, truecrypt would only possibly interfere with a duel boot setup if it was installed to do a entire drive encryption. Sounds like a improper boot-loader that caused your woes. So if you were only doing container encryption or a separate unrelated drive then it wasn't the cause.

Back
Top Bottom