Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-20-2012, 07:26 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default Whats with these ads on a website being site I've previously visited?

Im on alot of forums and the internet in general. I've been noticing that in the places for their ads it will be sites that I've visited previously.

Example: Ill be on a random website and see an ad for "onlinecarstereo.com". I just purchased stuff from there last week. Ill visit Amazon or E-Bay and not longer after see THOSE ads on the same websites.

Is there something I need to remove off my computer?
Is this normal?
Whats going on?

TIA!

SampsonSimpsonZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: Whats with these ads on a website being site I've previously visited?

From what I've read, it's because Google and other advertising services store your information and what sites you visit so they can serve ads that you would be more interested in. This is done to try and get more ad-clicks so they can earn more money.
Unfortunately, you can't really do anything about it if it creeps you out. I've been having the same issue with one specific website that I visited once. The ads are showing up literally on every page I visit. It's starting to get pretty annoying actually, but I do notice the ads more.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:55 PM   #3
Wizard of Wires

Default Re: Whats with these ads on a website being site I've previously visited?

It's a tracking cookie. Installed obviously with out your consent. Run CCleaner and Malwarebytes to get rid of it.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:32 PM   #4
MMM
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhamil64 View Post
From what I've read, it's because Google and other advertising services store your information and what sites you visit so they can serve ads that you would be more interested in. This is done to try and get more ad-clicks so they can earn more money.
Unfortunately, you can't really do anything about it if it creeps you out. I've been having the same issue with one specific website that I visited once. The ads are showing up literally on every page I visit. It's starting to get pretty annoying actually, but I do notice the ads more.
I agree with this statement as your search engines and websites keep track of your browsing habits...you can delete these tracking cookies but they keep coming back regardless.
You can block them them but that will interfere with browsing of websites.
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 04:37 AM   #5
Baseband Member

Yes it's a cookie. Hopefully these will blow out for me with the new EU Law .
Do regular scans to remove them.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
Solid State Member

Thanks for the info... just making sure it wasnt something more serious.
SampsonSimpsonZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #7
Fully Optimized

Google Ads.

Hate em

i5 4210M || 500GB Samsung EVO 850 SSD || GeForce 825M || 16GB DDR3 RAM || Windows 10 x64
joedaman633 is offline   Reply With Quote