Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-09-2005, 07:16 AM   #1
BSOD

Send a message via MSN to SpY MeTa Send a message via Yahoo to SpY MeTa
Default what is a hacker

dear friends, i found this document on the internet, you can see...

What Is a Hacker?
The Jargon File contains a bunch of definitions of the term ‘hacker’, most having to do with technical adeptness and a delight in solving problems and overcoming limits. If you want to know how to become a hacker, though, only two are really relevant.

There is a community, a shared culture, of expert programmers and networking wizards that traces its history back through decades to the first time-sharing minicomputers and the earliest ARPAnet experiments. The members of this culture originated the term ‘hacker’. Hackers built the Internet. Hackers made the Unix operating system what it is today. Hackers run Usenet. Hackers make the World Wide Web work. If you are part of this culture, if you have contributed to it and other people in it know who you are and call you a hacker, you're a hacker.

The hacker mind-set is not confined to this software-hacker culture. There are people who apply the hacker attitude to other things, like electronics or music — actually, you can find it at the highest levels of any science or art. Software hackers recognize these kindred spirits elsewhere and may call them ‘hackers’ too — and some claim that the hacker nature is really independent of the particular medium the hacker works in. But in the rest of this document we will focus on the skills and attitudes of software hackers, and the traditions of the shared culture that originated the term ‘hacker’.

There is another group of people who loudly call themselves hackers, but aren't. These are people (mainly adolescent males) who get a kick out of breaking into computers and phreaking the phone system. Real hackers call these people ‘crackers’ and want nothing to do with them. Real hackers mostly think crackers are lazy, irresponsible, and not very bright, and object that being able to break security doesn't make you a hacker any more than being able to hotwire cars makes you an automotive engineer. Unfortunately, many journalists and writers have been fooled into using the word ‘hacker’ to describe crackers; this irritates real hackers no end.

The basic difference is this: hackers build things, crackers break them.

If you want to be a hacker, keep reading. If you want to be a cracker, go read the alt.2600 newsgroup and get ready to do five to ten in the slammer after finding out you aren't as smart as you think you are. And that's all I'm going to say about crackers
......:::::::::::GOOD LUCK:::::::::.......

SpY MeTa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 08:24 AM   #2
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to george Send a message via Yahoo to george
Default Re: what is a hacker

What was the site you got it off.

george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 12:39 PM   #3
BSOD

how about u dont try and be a hacker or cracker because they are both pointless wastes of time
Computergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 01:33 PM   #4
BSOD

Hey dont put that title cus people will thinkk your asking a question and your just trying to be smart alec.

This is my 400th post
Steven11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2005, 02:19 PM   #5
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to jac006

congratulations and i say if u want to hack then go ahead. be my guest. but dont be so sure u wont get caught becuse so many people that i know have gotten caught and it hasnt been fun for them.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:25 PM   #6
BSOD

Yes it is not a nice expierence as you are usually reported to the FBI and they come and samsh ur door down!!

Watch urself Smart Alec!!
Steven11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 05:34 AM   #7
Daemon Poster

One a hacker is someone who keeps to themselves. Hackers know programming and computers very well and have no need to hurt other people's computers. I admire hackers for their knowledge but crackers are the worst type of people. Why would you want to break someone's computer. I despise crackers.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:14 PM   #8
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to Starr Send a message via MSN to Starr

I always viewed a hacker as sort of like a programmer or a debugger. More of a debugger then a programmer though. They look for holes and exploits in a program and unlike a "cracker" who uses these to cause damage. They look at the holes and exploits and they fix them. Thats how I always viewed a hacker.

Yea, the media really messed up the term hacker. Go figure......
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 02:25 AM   #9
Daemon Poster

yeah hackers are smart people and are really honest.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:59 AM   #10
BSOD

yea they are too bad they dont use it for good. unless theyre a good hacker that stops bad hackers thats cool

Computergen is offline   Reply With Quote