Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-29-2007, 05:17 AM   #21
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 23
Default Re: What is the best Anti-virus to Protect my laptop from Trojans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brookfield View Post
oh & why "especially as you're a good internet user"
I know this isn't directed at me but I'll answer it anyway.

Referring to my original post in this topic, "safe surfers" don't visit adult or crackz sites, don't use file sharing programs and generally use common sense where unsolicited mail is concerned. Due to this they rarely put themselves at risk.

Since registering on this site in April 2005 you've accumulated nearly 9000 posts on this forum Brookfield. I think it's a safe bet to presume you spend a large amount of your time here yes? You're not likely to pick many infections up here are you? AVG is perfect for this type of safe surfing. Basically, a glass house is fine if the locals haven't worked out how to throw stones yet.
__________________

John McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 06:40 AM   #22
In Runtime
 
AllThingsSacred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 302
Default Re: What is the best Anti-virus to Protect my laptop from Trojans

Brookfield, your staunch defence of AVG astonishes me. I think you are hardly placed to comment having seemingly tried nothing else, and let me tell you as a professional that AVG is free for a reason. It is hopelessly inefficient and has a bad detection mechanism when you compare it to other solutions like NOD32. If somebody else wishes to use a different solution I think you should let them.

Corporate customers will use Kaspersky Corporate Edition or F-Secure. Those products are built for bulletproof protection from the ground up as opposed to toys like AVG Free and Norton to keep the home user happy in the illusion of their system supposedly being secure.

What do you do on the Internet? Have you had a chance to test out AVG to its fullest? I should think you would want to change your opinion after doing so, trust me.

EDIT: Re-reading this thread I see that you are running two firewalls which is apparently keeping virii out of your system. That in itself is a Delia Smith Disaster Recipe and you should never have two software firewalls active on the same system.

EDIT 2: I think it highly unprofessional and uncalled for of you as a moderator to dismiss DJ-CHRIS's opinion as "rubbish" when I have seen, even in a short time, his ability with computers far outshines yours. I will also say that I am a professional in the industry and DJ-CHRIS has posted a couple of things I did not actually know. The key word here is "professional", you might like to try that as that has been somewhat lacking from some of your posts I have read here. You are coming across as a total idiot and your asinine comments and attitude to others, well I just dare you to try that in real life as opposed to hiding behind your screen and keyboard.
__________________

__________________
Patrick Moore
Born London, Live London, Die London
As a Londoner, I exercise my God given Right to do as I please
AllThingsSacred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:20 AM   #23
muz
Golden Master
 
muz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,928
Default Re: What is the best Anti-virus to Protect my laptop from Trojans

Yeah AVG is good cos its free and i used to use it here and i never had any problems in about 3 years of using with obviously there are some faults but its free so you get what you pay for , or in this case dont pay for

But Its plain to see that NOD32 is the best for home users, that is why i recently aquired a copy of NOD32 , that and it uses less resources than AVG and it beats anything by a long shot so if you want serious protection get NOD32
My only problem with NOD32 is its not as easy to configure as others . however if you have apply a little bit of common sense it shouldnt be a problem
Also AllThingsSacred it dosent take a profesional to realise NOD32 is better all you need to do is look at reviews and comparisions and it is plain to see
__________________
Desktop-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+-2GB Elixer DDR2 800 250gb+500gb+500gb+120gb
Laptop-Apple Macbook Pro 13" Intel core i5(2.3ghz) 4gb Ram 320gb hard drive
muz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:41 AM   #24
Daemon Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,153
Send a message via MSN to DannyBoy
Default Re: What is the best Anti-virus to Protect my laptop from Trojans

I use NOD32 and I agree, it's the best. Never have a problem, I also use ZoneAlarm for my firewall
DannyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:26 AM   #25
Golden Master
 
DJ-CHRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,203
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: What is the best Anti-virus to Protect my laptop from Trojans

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThingsSacred View Post
Brookfield, your staunch defence of AVG astonishes me. I think you are hardly placed to comment having seemingly tried nothing else, and let me tell you as a professional that AVG is free for a reason. It is hopelessly inefficient and has a bad detection mechanism when you compare it to other solutions like NOD32. If somebody else wishes to use a different solution I think you should let them.

Corporate customers will use Kaspersky Corporate Edition or F-Secure. Those products are built for bulletproof protection from the ground up as opposed to toys like AVG Free and Norton to keep the home user happy in the illusion of their system supposedly being secure.

What do you do on the Internet? Have you had a chance to test out AVG to its fullest? I should think you would want to change your opinion after doing so, trust me.

EDIT: Re-reading this thread I see that you are running two firewalls which is apparently keeping virii out of your system. That in itself is a Delia Smith Disaster Recipe and you should never have two software firewalls active on the same system.

EDIT 2: I think it highly unprofessional and uncalled for of you as a moderator to dismiss DJ-CHRIS's opinion as "rubbish" when I have seen, even in a short time, his ability with computers far outshines yours. I will also say that I am a professional in the industry and DJ-CHRIS has posted a couple of things I did not actually know. The key word here is "professional", you might like to try that as that has been somewhat lacking from some of your posts I have read here. You are coming across as a total idiot and your asinine comments and attitude to others, well I just dare you to try that in real life as opposed to hiding behind your screen and keyboard.
Thank you.

To do a true test of an AV, you need to do something besides just running it on a computer. You need a test lab setup and to actually test it against virus's.

Here, I manage McAfee on well over 100 computers. We haven't had any virus problems on our computers. Does this mean McAfee is the best product out their? No, far from it (Does alot better than it used to however )
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:05 AM   #26
muz
Golden Master
 
muz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,928
Default Re: What is the best Anti-virus to Protect my laptop from Trojans

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-CHRIS View Post
Thank you.

To do a true test of an AV, you need to do something besides just running it on a computer. You need a test lab setup and to actually test it against virus's.

Here, I manage McAfee on well over 100 computers. We haven't had any virus problems on our computers. Does this mean McAfee is the best product out their? No, far from it (Does alot better than it used to however )
Yeah AVG isnt so good when its tested to the same levels as NOD32 etc but for a general home user it should protect them enough seeing as they generaly use legit sites with no risk etc
OMG i used to run mcafe internet security on 1 computer and that was enough ,It was OK in its virus protection i suppose ,i never had any viruses when i finaly removed it and installed NOD32 however it used to slow the computer too a standstill . It also had this annoyying habit of resetting the firewall everytime there was an update which led to you having to reset all the permissions
__________________
Desktop-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+-2GB Elixer DDR2 800 250gb+500gb+500gb+120gb
Laptop-Apple Macbook Pro 13" Intel core i5(2.3ghz) 4gb Ram 320gb hard drive
muz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:51 AM   #27
Golden Master
 
DJ-CHRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,203
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: What is the best Anti-virus to Protect my laptop from Trojans

The average computer user also looks at alot of porn.
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 10:55 AM   #28
muz
Golden Master
 
muz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,928
Default Re: What is the best Anti-virus to Protect my laptop from Trojans

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-CHRIS View Post
The average computer user also looks at alot of porn.
Yeah and the funny thing is people look at all this porn but when someone else says yeah i watch porn they are shocked . I think TBH i thinka lot people who have a computer have at some time looked on porn
__________________
Desktop-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+-2GB Elixer DDR2 800 250gb+500gb+500gb+120gb
Laptop-Apple Macbook Pro 13" Intel core i5(2.3ghz) 4gb Ram 320gb hard drive
muz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:08 AM   #29
Golden Master
 
DJ-CHRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,203
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: What is the best Anti-virus to Protect my laptop from Trojans

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
Yeah and the funny thing is people look at all this porn but when someone else says yeah i watch porn they are shocked . I think TBH i thinka lot people who have a computer have at some time looked on porn
Virtually everyone with a few exceptions.
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 12:31 PM   #30
Golden Master
 
Raffaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,798
Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz
Default Re: What is the best Anti-virus to Protect my laptop from Trojans

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-CHRIS View Post
Yeah even McAfee has a better track record than AVG now.
What you on about??? Re-read my post, i was on about brookfields claim that AVG was the best.
__________________

Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0