Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-28-2007, 04:00 AM   #1
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10
Default What is the best Anti-virus to Protect my laptop from Trojans

I am just wondering what is the best anti-virus to protect my laptop against Trojans. I recently got the trial version of 'Spyware Doctor' and that has been voted the best but i was wondering if that is true. If you could give me some advice on your own experiences that would be great.
__________________

Arc_Sphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:18 AM   #2
Golden Master
 
Brookfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,056
Default Re: What is the best Anti-virus to Protect my laptop from Trojans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc_Sphere View Post
I am just wondering what is the best anti-virus to protect my laptop against Trojans. I recently got the trial version of 'Spyware Doctor' and that has been voted the best but i was wondering if that is true. If you could give me some advice on your own experiences that would be great.
I use AVG [free edition] it is very efficient, I had problems with trojans a while back, no probs they were put in AVG'S vault, that was over a year ago, nothing since, it has it's own firewall which works alongside Microsoft's very well.
I recommend that that you install "SpyBot" too, that mops up the bots like crazy!!, anything else you wan't to know just PM me, my door is always open.
__________________

Brookfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 05:34 AM   #3
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10
Default Re: What is the best Anti-virus to Protect my laptop from Trojans

Thanks, i will download avg now. Thanks again.
Arc_Sphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:06 AM   #4
Golden Master
 
Brookfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,056
Default Re: What is the best Anti-virus to Protect my laptop from Trojans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc_Sphere View Post
Thanks, i will download avg now. Thanks again.
That's OK!, you're welcome, you won't regret it
Brookfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:36 AM   #5
Golden Master
 
DJ-CHRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,203
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: What is the best Anti-virus to Protect my laptop from Trojans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc_Sphere View Post
I am just wondering what is the best anti-virus to protect my laptop against Trojans. I recently got the trial version of 'Spyware Doctor' and that has been voted the best but i was wondering if that is true. If you could give me some advice on your own experiences that would be great.
I think NOD32 is the best, only AV to not have been hit by an in the wild virus in 8 years.

AVG is free, however it has a terrible track record, it's vulnerable to many different virus's.
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:18 AM   #6
Golden Master
 
Brookfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,056
Exclamation Re: What is the best Anti-virus to Protect my laptop from Trojans

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-CHRIS View Post
I think NOD32 is the best, only AV to not have been hit by an in the wild virus in 8 years.

AVG is free, however it has a terrible track record, it's vulnerable to many different virus's.
Rubbish, Chris, read my previous post, I've always run AVG, I installed it 3 years & 3 PC's ago, & have never ever had problems, the 2 firewalls are the answer, I've had nothing worse tan a few trojans which it dealt with efficiency.
Brookfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:51 AM   #7
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 23
Default Re: What is the best Anti-virus to Protect my laptop from Trojans

While it's true AVG doesn't have a great track record with many independent researchers when it comes to "in the wild" nasties, the level of cover it offers is more than suitable for the majority of home users. If one keeps away from adult content, file sharing programs, crackz sites and is careful to not open unsolicited email, AVG should be fine. If however you like to visit or use any of the above, I'm afraid AVG won't protect you for long. The likes of NOD32, Kaspersky and F-Secure are streets ahead of the freebies in terms of protection and detection.
John McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:48 AM   #8
Golden Master
 
Brookfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,056
Default Re: What is the best Anti-virus to Protect my laptop from Trojans

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McKenna View Post
While it's true AVG doesn't have a great track record with many independent researchers when it comes to "in the wild" nasties, the level of cover it offers is more than suitable for the majority of home users. If one keeps away from adult content, file sharing programs, crackz sites and is careful to not open unsolicited email, AVG should be fine. If however you like to visit or use any of the above, I'm afraid AVG won't protect you for long. The likes of NOD32, Kaspersky and F-Secure are streets ahead of the freebies in terms of protection and detection.
A little story then, before I d/loaded the free version I got the disc in Staples for around 23, in the meantime a friend recommended the free version, so I thought I'd give it a go, thinking I could always uninstall, but I never did, & gave the boxed disc to a relative as a birthday gift, three weeks later he rang me saying that his PC had been compromised, three major viruses had reallysnarled up his PC,& he had had to get someone in, in the end he had to have a new hdd.
Brookfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:04 AM   #9
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 23
Default Re: What is the best Anti-virus to Protect my laptop from Trojans

I dare say he didn't surf as safely as yourself then Brookfield.
John McKenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 10:29 AM   #10
Golden Master
 
Brookfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 10,056
Default Re: What is the best Anti-virus to Protect my laptop from Trojans

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McKenna View Post
I dare say he didn't surf as safely as yourself then Brookfield.
Thanks, he was rather young, have I asked before where you live?, I was born in Portsmouth but now I live on the Isle of Wight.
__________________

Brookfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0