Virus causing BSOD (I think) problem

sam the man

Beta member
started getting some trojans and other viruses on my computer. tried to get rid of them with AVG but kept coming. So i got kaspersky, uninstalled everything and installed kaspersky. It said it had installed, click next and nothing. So i uninstalled it and tried again but nothing. So I installed adware, scanned and it deleted several viruses. Went to restart my computer, and whilst loading windows it came up with a BSOD
stop code: 0x0000008E

Restarted and clicked "load last know good settings" Didnt get the 1st BSOD. Log into windows and now get a BSOD saying

"The driver is attempting to access memory after it has been freed"
Stop: 0X000000D5

The thing to make note of is that, I had viruses and get the second BSOD now.

MY computer loads up into safe mode ok...but I dont know what to do. My memory is fairly new and has been fine until I got these viruses so I doubt the memory is at fault. I even put in memory which I know works

I would format my computer but I have important stuff on there and have no backups

Please help..... Thanks!

Firstly... Use Avast... One of the best anti-virus scanners I have found... Secondly... Get CCleaner... it will clean out your registry and temp files.... Otherwise get some other Registry cleaner...
After you install Avast re-scan with adware, then scan with Avast, then do the CCleaner... More then likely the problem will be fixed... if not then have Avast schedule a boot scan (it does as you to do this when you first install it wouldn't be a bad idea to just do it), it will find it before it has a chance to get into memory and change or move or anything like that...

Firstly... Use Avast... One of the best anti-virus scanners I have found... Secondly... Get CCleaner... it will clean out your registry and temp files.... Otherwise get some other Registry cleaner...
After you install Avast re-scan with adware, then scan with Avast, then do the CCleaner... More then likely the problem will be fixed... if not then have Avast schedule a boot scan (it does as you to do this when you first install it wouldn't be a bad idea to just do it), it will find it before it has a chance to get into memory and change or move or anything like that...

Thanks for the reply. I did a avast boot scan but it got stuck on "the file is in the windows folder". I clicked yes to delete and came up with an error. Any number I clicked it came up with an error so I had to ESC from the scan :(

I will do as you suggested tho!

Can you be more specific about what virus(s) you think you have? Have you checked for spyware and other nasties?
Super Anti-spyware is an amazing program for spyware removal. It sounds like a windows update may have caused you some dirver grief. After making sure the machine is clean (do the scans in safe mode, or pop the hard drive out and scan it from another computer), if it is still acting up, attempt a system restore (assuming you have XP or Vista), (start->accessories->system tools->system restore). And restore to a point in time when you weren't having any troubles (you won't lose any data).

If that doesn't work, do a repair using a windows xp or vista cd. You will need to re-enter your license code, but it is NOT a reformat.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Here is a link with detailed instructions on how to properly do a repair if it comes to that point.

You got stuck on a boot scan... hhmm that sounds pretty nasty if you ask me... If you can't get it off on a boot scan then most likely the permissions are set from a *nix system... I would suggest using something like Knoppix, or any live bootable linux distro... find the file it froze on and do this command "chmod 777 Filename" Then boot it back up, and try deleteing it again... If it still won't try doing another boot scan... and if still isn't.... Then you may have to mess around with the file settings... (trying to give you any thing you can do before having to resort to system restore)... Also the CCleaner or any good registry scanner, could possibly help the situation, after scanning the registry for errors... That Super Anti Spyware, looks to me like Spy Bot used to be (Spyware in of itself), I personally wouldn't advise downloading... Adware, still to this day is one of the best...

Back
Top Bottom