Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 01:00 PM   #1
Solid State Member

Default Track IP address

one of my laptop was stolen last week and i have already reported to the police and they are investigating the IP address which i have provided to them because i have installed certain software that will inform me the IP address of the laptop every time the device connected to the internet.

Does any one know that is that possible to track the exactly location of the IP address ? Please show me how if that is possible way, thanks for your help.

Old 07-10-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
In Runtime

Default Re: Track IP address

You can't trace the exact location. But you can trace it to where the ISP is located.

http://ip-adress.com/ip_tracer

Old 07-10-2010, 10:34 PM   #3
In Runtime

Send a message via MSN to Comp_Pro

Tell the police the exact time and date and the I.P and they will be able to contact your ISP who can find them
Old 07-11-2010, 04:10 AM   #4
Wizard of Wires

An exact IP is useless. If they get on at a coffee shop or a hotel, you're tracking software would be useless. Besides, most IP's are dynamic.
File a claim with your insurance company and get another one.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:44 AM   #5
In Runtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
most IP's are dynamic.
Which is why I said to tell the police the exact time and date so it says in their logs who had that I.P at that time, and if they DID use their own connection then they will be caught
Old 07-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #6
Site Team

As said above the IP address isn't brilliantly helpful in this case. If anything can be deduced from it then the police will be able to do that far better than you can (since they'll be able to use the ISP's data) but the chances are pretty slim.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:49 PM   #7
Solid State Member

Thanks for all of your opinion , i did tell the detective about the IP address and the time the device was online , i even track the IP address by using the ip-adress.com/ip-trace and i got some information about the ISP which is under bellsouth and road runner due to the laptop seems like stay at two different spots.

But the detective told my relative that unfortunately , the ISP is unable to cooperate with him and couldn't give him the information about the IP address, I am just wondering that why are the ISP refused to help ? Are they really can't give the information about the IP address ? is this against the law ?
Old 07-11-2010, 03:18 PM   #8
Site Team

ISPs can be very funny about giving up this sort of information and often won't unless they're forced to by a court of law. It's not because it's illegal, it's just because it's effort for no gain (on their part.)
Old 07-11-2010, 03:35 PM   #9
Solid State Member

That's ridiculous, what can i do for next ? am i able to get back the laptop ? That is criminal, how come we couldn't do anything even though we have evidences .....
Old 07-12-2010, 09:32 AM   #10
In Runtime

You might have to take this case to a bigger police station or a higher end detective, who might possibly get a warrant to search the ISP's logs.