Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-09-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default Re: thinkpad r51e using backtrack 3 can't connect to internet(need help)

Hi.I am using an imb thinkpad r51e and backtrack 3.If I go under wireless assistant I can see the network connections and their strength, so I am thinking my card works with backtrack 3 but when I try to connect to mine it says connection failed.Thank you for your time

oh and I am pretty sure this is my wireless card
IBM 11b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Adapter - ThinkWiki

todd500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #2
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to wmorri
Default Re: thinkpad r51e using backtrack 3 can't connect to internet(need help)

Hi,

There are a couple of things that will help me with getting you up and running. First, I need you to copy the output for the following command. You need to open a terminal and type or copy lspci. That will tell us all of the hardware that is connected vai pci. This will help us with figuring out what wireless card you have, so we don't get going in the wrong direction.

Second I want you to try a command that will bring your wireless "up" or turn it on. Try typing in terminal "iwconfig up" w/o quotes. See if you are able to connect to a network after that, prefferably one that isn't password protected, or one that you know the password to.

I thought you were a hispanic/african american? Who is the white guy in the pictures?
wmorri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 09:27 AM   #3
Beta Member

I just tried backtrack 5 and surprisingly everything worked like it should so I think I will stick with backtrack 5,thanks anyway
todd500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:11 AM   #4
Daemon Poster

Send a message via AIM to wmorri

Okay glad things are working for you!

I thought you were a hispanic/african american? Who is the white guy in the pictures?
wmorri is offline   Reply With Quote