Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-01-2006, 11:38 AM   #1
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to wolfinstinct Send a message via MSN to wolfinstinct Send a message via Yahoo to wolfinstinct
Default svchost.exe acting weird!?

I looked in windows tak manager cause I some1 gave me a hint that this site I recent I saw svchost visited had a possable keylogger, Well, I had 6 of them running(i read it supposed to have 5) and It was taking up 20mb, so I ended it, but It didnt make me restart my computer or anything!! I used a program and it writes to the hdd often...

wolfinstinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 01:04 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Send a message via ICQ to ^Mike^ Send a message via AIM to ^Mike^ Send a message via MSN to ^Mike^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^Mike^
Default Re: svchost.exe acting weird!?

I i currently have 6 running also. The only thing you need to worry about is scvhost i believe it is spelled where the c and the v are switched It is a worm. The svchost proccess stableizes ur computer so don't end the processes.

^Mike^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 03:12 PM   #3
In Runtime

I have 5 of them as well. 4 take up abo9ut 3-4 mb each, but one takes up 20 megs.
dangerousbeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 09:22 PM   #4
In Runtime

Send a message via AIM to wolfinstinct Send a message via MSN to wolfinstinct Send a message via Yahoo to wolfinstinct

Well, for me it was the 6th one... It only had one DLL loaded and it would constantly write to the heard drive to a text document that did record everthing I typed! It's fixed now...
Old 01-02-2006, 02:12 PM   #5
Baseband Member

btw, wats svchost for anyways?
Dnsgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 03:22 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

Send a message via ICQ to ^Mike^ Send a message via AIM to ^Mike^ Send a message via MSN to ^Mike^ Send a message via Yahoo to ^Mike^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dnsgm
btw, wats svchost for anyways?
Keeping system stable and I think something with DNS
^Mike^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 03:15 AM   #7
In Runtime

It loads .dll files that windows needs... I did my research on it and viruses can load themselves into svchost... but that dll has to be on your system so virus scanners can get em
Old 01-04-2006, 11:12 AM   #8
Baseband Member

weird, :S
I only have 4 :x
DarkDragon7099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2006, 04:16 PM   #9
Baseband Member

amazing...simply amazing... svchost.exe is a system process belonging to the Microsoft Windows Operating System which handles processes executed from DLLs...straight from liutilities.com. basically, it converts dlls into processes. It is mainly used for networking and DNS as stated before. I don't think anybody realized the fact that a smart hacker, keystroke logger, could possibly have named a keylogger svchost.exe? Mainly the reason would be is that in the taskmgr there is no URL path. All you see is just the executable name. try Process Explorer by Sysinternals...awesome app...http://www.sysinternals.com

-thecoolkidontheblock

-Thomas Edison, Modern Day.
thecoolkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2006, 10:50 AM   #10
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoolkid
amazing...simply amazing... svchost.exe is a system process belonging to the Microsoft Windows Operating System which handles processes executed from DLLs...straight from liutilities.com. basically, it converts dlls into processes. It is mainly used for networking and DNS as stated before. I don't think anybody realized the fact that a smart hacker, keystroke logger, could possibly have named a keylogger svchost.exe? Mainly the reason would be is that in the taskmgr there is no URL path. All you see is just the executable name. try Process Explorer by Sysinternals...awesome app...http://www.sysinternals.com

-thecoolkidontheblock

wouldnt they have to name it scvhost.exe??? i may be wrong...they reason i say this is because it seems hard to believe your operating system would let a file name like that on the computer.. So if you changed the name to scvhost.exe and you check your task manager. Most people that arent computer "savi" wouldnt even notice it...I probly just made myself look like an "A"...so if im wrong let me know..

burton_o6 is offline   Reply With Quote