Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-28-2007, 09:47 PM   #1
Beta Member

Default spyware

This could be an annoying question but I have to ask. I run 4 or 5 spyware programs, like Adaware, Spybot, Spysweep, AVG spyware and I have Earthlink Protection Control Center which does a Spyware scan.

My question is this: I do a regular check once a week and EVERY week and EVERY time, I get the same Tracking Cookies and some programs show different ones, but it is the same ones on that program and week after week after week, I quarantine these suckers but they NEVER go away, am I wasting my time?

Basically, I ask this because it takes Spysweep over an hour to do a complete scan and to do all my scans, I need at least three hours and it is getting to be a pain in the you know what...

Any advice? Oh! please be kind, I'm a dummy and I admit it. Just don't like anyone telling me that....

Thanks, Claire

clairevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:17 PM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to borat_sagdiyev Send a message via MSN to borat_sagdiyev
Default Re: spyware

dude you dont even need one. just use the firefox web browser.

evga geforce 7600GT overclocked
borat_sagdiyev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:03 AM   #3
Beta Member

I do use the Firefox browser but I still get the tracking cookies on my spyware programs. Maybe you could be more helpful and elaborate a wee bit more?

Thanks, Claire
Old 01-29-2007, 12:08 AM   #4
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to Toby Send a message via Yahoo to Toby

Well, you could go to Tools - Options - Privacy - and in the Cookies - Accept Cookies From Sites in the drop down menu there should be three options... 1) They expire, 2) I close FireFox, and 3) Ask me every time. I use number two so that all my cookies are cleared every time Firefox closes.

Edit: I don't see why Spy Sweeper should take that long to scan your system either (of course it depends on a lot of things) on my Laptop: 1GhZ Celeron, 256 RAM, 10Gig HDD, it takes about 15 minutes and on the computer in my signature it takes about 30 minutes.
Dell Inspiron 9400 Notebook 120GB 5400RPM SATA HDD, 500GB 7200RPM SATA External HDD, DVD+-RW, DVD+-RW External, Mobile Intel Calistoga i945PM, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 GhZ, 2GB DDR2-667MhZ Dual Channel SDRAM, Nvidia GeForce GO 7900 GS 256MB Single-Pipe.
TinyXP Rev05, PerfectDisk, TuneUp Utilities, Window Washer, Nod32, Bo-Clean, SuperAntiSpyware Pro, Spyware Blaster, Comodo Firewall Pro.
Toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:40 AM   #5
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to borat_sagdiyev Send a message via MSN to borat_sagdiyev

well umm cookies dont really do anything but do what toby said

and you wont get spyware if you dont download anything suspicious and you use firefox

even macs (which dont get spyware) get cookies
evga geforce 7600GT overclocked
borat_sagdiyev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:24 AM   #6
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to mammikoura

lol, of course they get cookies too. But as already said, most of the time the cookies are harmless and you don't need to worry about them. And well, if you want to run them and not waste time then you could just start them when you go to sleep and they will be complete when you wake up.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:27 AM   #7
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to Steff

I don't think you need 5 ad ware things! Only one would be adaqite. All you need is one spyware softwar, firewall and an anti virus, that should be fine.
Steff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 07:57 PM   #8
Beta Member

How kind you all are and so helpful. Thanks for the feedback and for being so respectful.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:42 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

I've found that cookies are harmless. Sure they turn up in spyware scans but they're usually harmless. When I run spyware scans that's all that ever turns up and I just delete them and nothing bad ever happens.
Old 01-31-2007, 05:22 AM   #10
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Raffaz Send a message via MSN to Raffaz Send a message via Yahoo to Raffaz

Some cookies are tracking cookies tho. Try running your spyware scans in safe mode. I personally run 4 different spyware progs, because what one program misses another one will catch.

Raffaz is offline   Reply With Quote