Some tips on making your wireless network more secure.

You guys really do go slightly over-board on security. Its not like you've got a million dollar mainframe in your bedroom

WPA2 key is all you need.

you can see my ESSID and MAC filter is disabled. Good luck breaking my encryption though.

agreed, The key is not to make your computer absolutely secure. You mainly only need it to be more secure then your neighbors. That way the guy going down the street looking for victims will choose your neighbor and not you.

You guys really do go slightly over-board on security. Its not like you've got a million dollar mainframe in your bedroom

you can see my ESSID and MAC filter is disabled. Good luck breaking my encryption though.

Based on your image on the forums, I surmise that you are either in late teens or early 20's. That being said, I figure that you are a normal young adult who doesn't have an over abundant amount of cash or assets to track. When you get into owning your house, raising a family, having stock options, 401k's, medical bills, credit card bills, as well as house security codes etc, you want to be protected from your neighbors. It's not over secure at all. Those that weren't are today facing stolen identities, etc.

I know my neighbor has a 15 year old daughter who's friends come over all the time. If i do something to piss off my neighbor or his daughter, her friends may hack into my network, jump on my computer and pull out very sensitive information. Can you image how devastating it would be to see your saving go from lets say $50,000 to $8.00 because some punk for your passwords, logged into the site, and transferred them to an unknown account for fun? People commit suicide over stuff like that. The more you have, the more you try to protect. When I was in college, I could care less. What are they going to do? Steal my research paper? Now, it's a different ball game. Your neighbors may be your friends, but EVERYONE would like to know what the other neighbor is up to.

Based on your image on the forums, I surmise that you are either in late teens or early 20's. That being said, I figure that you are a normal young adult who doesn't have an over abundant amount of cash or assets to track. When you get into owning your house, raising a family, having stock options, 401k's, medical bills, credit card bills, as well as house security codes etc, you want to be protected from your neighbors. It's not over secure at all. Those that weren't are today facing stolen identities, etc.

I know my neighbor has a 15 year old daughter who's friends come over all the time. If i do something to piss off my neighbor or his daughter, her friends may hack into my network, jump on my computer and pull out very sensitive information. Can you image how devastating it would be to see your saving go from lets say $50,000 to $8.00 because some punk for your passwords, logged into the site, and transferred them to an unknown account for fun? People commit suicide over stuff like that. The more you have, the more you try to protect. When I was in college, I could care less. What are they going to do? Steal my research paper? Now, it's a different ball game. Your neighbors may be your friends, but EVERYONE would like to know what the other neighbor is up to.

I agree and see your point, but as long as your computers have network discovery off, you won't be in any problems anyway. Unless they know the WPA/2 passkey, the username and password of your home server/workstation and any passwords to other network resources. Generally speaking, WPA is enough security to keep most people out, MAC Filtering just gets annoying, since every time a friend comes over with his laptop or smartphone or ipod then you have to go to the settings and let him on, and so on. Your data would be saved on your workstation, and just because someone is on your network, doesn't mean they can get into your workstation. Everytime you try to connect to a host with network detection disabled, it will just come up with 'cannot find host'. Even if you did have discovery on, it would still ask for an administrator's username and password. Also, i don't make any attempt to hide my age, 17 :)

Windows-7-Windows-Security-Enter-Network-Password.png

I never save any passwords on my computers either. I know they could put a key logger on there, but thats something else to consider, not leaving things lying around / or not make it easy for people to get at, even if they do get into your network, a more complex password, different passwords etc, can go a way to prevent things too.

YES! I Agree with you, there is no major problem on wireless network .
they can access your account and froad your money and all that.
you can use WPA2 key it is right.

also enable anti virus protects over a wireless connection too!

kaspersky coupon

Setting up wireless access point is very easy, all you have to do is follow step by step guide on you CD and voila! you are online surfing the network through wireless. Most of us think mission complete! all done, and you just leave the network open. But remember the term 'hackers', these are the people who are always on a lookout for these type of open network. They can not only access your personal data but can also gain control of your network to conduct malicious activities. Necessary steps must be taken to safeguard your assets. Here are some of the things you can do to ensure some level of security:

Change your default admin password
After setting up your wireless access point, always make sure to change your default admin password.

Hide you Service Set Identifier (SSID)
It is a good idea to hide your network's SSID. This will ensure that no one can see your laptop listed when searching for available networks nearby.

Turn on MAC filtering
Also make sure that youturn MAC filtering on so that only listed computers can access your network.

enable encryption
That's the best protection measure and must be enabled to ensure maximum security. I would recommend WPA2 over WPA and WEP. Some home routers might list WPA2-PSK
and then either AES or TKIP. These are two different algorithms. AES is more stronger and securer that TKIP, so I would choose AES.

Good luck
wink.gif

Good tip... nothing wrong using these features in the router as designed....The more protection you enable more secure you are.

Just remember the more encrypted you are the slower your speeds will become. Probably not that noticable, but it's there.

Back
Top Bottom