"Some Files Could Not Be Scanned" - Avast

jakeny

Baseband Member
I've been using Avast as my new anti-virus for a few months now at the recommendation of folks here at Computer Forums.

So far, so good.....However, one thing I've noticed that I wanted to ask a question about is that whenever I do full system scans, an error message comes up at the end of the scan that says:

"Some Files Could Not Be Scanned"

I will click on the button it shows to expand the message and it shows literally hundreds if not thousands of files that were not scanned. Next to each file it reads:

"Error: The file cannot be accessed by the system (1920)"

I'm wondering what this means and if it's something I should be worried about. When the full system scan is running and I occasionally check up on it (at different intervals...like 20% complete, 70% complete, 89% complete, etc.), it shows 0 files have been infected. But my concern is with those files that could not be scanned. It's great that I show 0 files infected for the ones that are scanned, but what about those that are unscanned?

Thanks for everyone's help! Again!! :flowers:

I've done some quick research. As Darkseeker has mentioned, there are a number of reasons for Avast not being able to scan certain files such as archives, password-protected files etc. This is normal when doing malware scans with a variety of different programs....just some don't report that kind of info. In short, there is no reason to believe that you have a problem or that your PC is infected. Avast is just letting you know that some files were not accessible to scan them. If you want to take extra measures to reassure yourself, do what Darkseeker suggested and run Malwarebytes free edition on your PC.

My ESET and malwarebytes do that. Some files are locked to protect them from the baddies.

My ESET and malwarebytes do that. Some files are locked to protect them from the baddies.

Interesting. But, out of curiosity, what if the locked file IS the bad guy?!! :lol:

See my dilemma? :D

Do a sweep of your system using Malwarebytes | Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free

If it finds nothing, you're good.

all sorts of reasons Avast might not be able to read files. corruption, encryption, etc. Maybe throw a defrag and a chkdsk at your hard drive.

Yeah, I'll definitely run those to sort of be extra secure. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom