Securing My Wireless Network

scary

Beta member
hello,

I am trying to secure my network as my neighbours are having an amazing time stealing my wireless internet, I thought I could do it throught the Belkin router programm, but I dont seem to be able to,

please help

thanks

Alright i personally have not set up wireless at home but i have set it up briefly at class, now these neighbours how much knowledge do they have of computers? You may not need to apply much to stop them, anyways to the point, i would start by applying a mac address filter, what this does is only accept connections with the certain mac addresses of your nics wanting to access the network and also apply a wep encryption or better yet WPA encryption. Sorry i cant tell you how to specifically do these, its just that i dont have that much knowledge of it, thats all.

If your router has it, you can use the WPA-PSK (Wi-Fi Protected Access-Pre-Shared Key) protocol. It is more secure than the WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy). WPA 2.0 is the most secure, I think.

You can also limit the amount of IP Adresses it gives out. It is recommended to give out only the amount of computers on your network. Look for the DHCP settings. It will give you an IP address range in which it limits the amount of IP addresses to give out to the computers.

I personally like ethernet better because it is safer, faster, more reliable, and cheaper than wireless. I would recommend a switch

Back
Top Bottom