Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-10-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
Beta Member
Default Securely connecting old desktop to internet

Hey, so my problem is that I am not the most tech savy person, and I have an older desktop that a friend who who works in software wiped clean, installed new anti-virus software on (AVG), and promptly returned to me over a year ago. I've kind of sat around on connecting this desktop to the internet because I simply had no place to put it. Well now there's some space in my home and I'd like to hook it up to my Wireless router and I know the simple physical things that go into connecting the machine to the internet, but I know there will be AVG updates, Java updates, Adobe updates, and Windows updates that the machine will need. That being said, my question to all of you Computer Gurus out there is how can I go about connecting this machine to the internet while ensuring that it is completely secure and receives its proper updates? Any replies are much appreciated. Thanks a lot guys.

bbsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:02 AM   #2
Solid State Member
Default Re: Securely connecting old desktop to internet

I will recommend you to unstall AVG, as it will slow down your computer. Try to install a free version of Microsoft Security Essentials for better performce and security. Regarding all the update you just need to turn on the Automatic updates for Windows on your computers.........Right Click on My Computer...........>Propterties..........Automatic Updates............>Download and Install Important Updates Automatically.........Click Ok. regarding all other update those can be done automatically or just visit thier website and install the latest version.

__________________________________________________ __________
Solution provided by
Sheraz - Network Support Analyst
Civnom Technologies
sheraz9212 is offline   Reply With Quote