Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-04-2009, 11:27 PM   #1
Baseband Member
Default Rouge Anti-virus

I have a rouge anti-virus on an old laptop and the rouge anti-virus is known as System Security.How can i remove this from my laptop.I've read about how to remove it and have done it for a different program,but for this one,when i start it up a couple minutes the laptop hibernates.How can i remove this rouge anti-virus or at least cancel the computer going to hibernation so i can apply some kind of fix?

odom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:33 AM   #2
Omnipotent One
Send a message via AIM to Atomic Rooster Send a message via Yahoo to Atomic Rooster
Default Re: Rouge Anti-virus

I'm not sure the exact procedure, but I believe you need to enter the advanced power settings for your laptop in order to shut off the hibernate feature.

A great program for removing nasty viruses and spyware is Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware.

Atomic Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 07:38 AM   #3
Site Team
Send a message via AIM to celegorm

This is one of the few baddies that I have yet to see MB take care of (but new updates may have fixed that).

I've had great sucess with Combo Fix on removing this one. Instructions and a download are all avalible here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/comb...o-use-combofix
"as a fanboy i refuse to admit it and will pull countless things out of my butt to disprove it"

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:51 PM   #4
Solid State Member

Malwarebytes and lots of patience is your friend. You will be able to lick this bug...BUT...if there is nothing on this pc the fastest and probably the best way is to wipe it and start fresh. Once infected with trash like this...nothing ever quite works the same even after cleaning.
Osirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:01 PM   #5
Beta Member

My money is on an autorun registry key. There are lots of places that critter could be hiding. Try looking in the msconfig startup tab. If there any entries referencing the program, uncheck them and reboot. If that doesn't do the trick, here is a list of places it is probably hiding: http://mirroredblack.com/Reg_entrees.htm. Good Luck
ZeroGeek is offline   Reply With Quote