root user

zeezeiler99

Baseband Member
hey fellows,

first of all: :santa: merry christmas :santa:
but i got a problem on the external hard disk, i wanna delete some files that i don't need anymore but when i want to delete them a window pops up and tells me that i can't do that without the permission of unix root/user. i'm the admin in the network.
i hope that you guys have answers for me

greetings

Joost

I know in Windows if you lock a file you have to unlock it to delete it. Would this be the same in Unix?

Mossiac

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Computer Forums mobile app

hey fellows,

first of all: :santa: merry christmas :santa:
but i got a problem on the external hard disk, i wanna delete some files that i don't need anymore but when i want to delete them a window pops up and tells me that i can't do that without the permission of unix root/user. i'm the admin in the network.
i hope that you guys have answers for me

greetings

Joost

Are you talking about a samba mounted network drive, or just an external USB drive?

If you're talking about the former, I've had exactly the same issue - file permissions can be 777, directory permissions also 777 and unable to issue 'rm -f' as root on the mounted drive. The only issue is, that I can't remember what I did to resolve this! I imagine it had something to do with samba configuration and mounting the drive r/w.

If you're talking about the latter (external usb hard drive) then it could be the 'sticky bit' set in the parent directory, which (depending on parent directory ownership - i.e. non-root) could prevent root (or your own privileged admin user) from being able to delete the file.

Apologies for not being very helpful here, hopefully something in my ramblings will spark an idea and help you solve your issue - good luck!

Remember when you connect as root that doesn't necessarily mean that the samba daemon necessarily has access to the files.

Can you be clear are you using windows or Linux?

Back
Top Bottom