Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-12-2005, 03:52 PM   #1
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 17
Default remote access software

I was wondering if there is any software out there that allows you to use your computer at home when you're not there?

In other words, if I'm at work, I have a computer that can't access the internet, can I use the software to access the internet via the home computer?
__________________

dogface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 04:05 PM   #2
Golden Master
 
mammikoura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,459
Send a message via MSN to mammikoura
Default Re: remote access software

no u can't.

There is remote access software, but u need to have an internet connection on both of the computers so that they can get a connection between them.
__________________

__________________
0_o
mammikoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 04:53 PM   #3
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 17
Default Re: remote access software

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammikoura
no u can't.

There is remote access software, but u need to have an internet connection on both of the computers so that they can get a connection between them.

Thanks.

If I do have internet access from my work comp, but there's a filter on it, can I access my comp at home to get to a site I can't access from work?

For instance if I want to look at an adult site at work, but I can't because of a block can I remote access my comp at home to access that page?
dogface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2005, 03:10 AM   #4
Fully Optimized
 
dyserq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,281
Default Re: remote access software

You probably can ... but if that's all you want the remote access for, there are other ways in which you could bypass the filters, it's not that hard although i'm going to have to be careful about what i tell you ...
dyserq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 04:38 AM   #5
Golden Master
 
135791's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: No
Posts: 5,427
Send a message via MSN to 135791
Default Re: remote access software

download firefox and use a proxie there very simple and if you can find a good one doesnt slow down the site much

as for you idea of using your computer at home, well if you dragged a network cable from your house to your work then that would help things
135791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 10:57 AM   #6
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 17
Default Re: remote access software

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135791
download firefox and use a proxie there very simple and if you can find a good one doesnt slow down the site much
Thanx for the replay, excuse my ignorance, but what exactley can I do with the firefox and proxie?

Does that give me the ability to control my computer when I'm not sitting in front of it?
dogface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 02:13 PM   #7
Golden Master
 
135791's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: No
Posts: 5,427
Send a message via MSN to 135791
Default Re: remote access software

nope but it allows you to get past filters etc
135791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 02:13 PM   #8
In Runtime
 
Quinton McLeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 298
Default Re: remote access software

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogface
Thanx for the replay, excuse my ignorance, but what exactley can I do with the firefox and proxie?

Does that give me the ability to control my computer when I'm not sitting in front of it?

The following information can get you fired!

*Ahem*
You can use SSH to run a private proxy from home. That's what I do...
Now, at your job, they are probably monitoring your connection there and where you go... If they see a mysterious SSH connection to a local cable IP, they will get very curious and start checking your computer... There is a way to pass that though...

If you switch your SSH listening port to port 80, then you should be alright. It's not as noticable as a connection to port 22... Also, a lot of these businesses don't have time to check every website on every computer. Instead, they have a program that checks ports. If they see a computer is connected to an odd port such as 22, 21 135, 165, 3128 and etc. The program sounds alarms... However, if you're using port 80, then the program is fooled into thinking it's a http connection...

I mean, don't get me wrong. The admins of your job's network could be smarter than you think! They could check the packets sent from your computer and see that they're encrypted and start asking you questions! So, use this info at your own risk!
Quinton McLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 02:17 PM   #9
Golden Master
 
135791's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: No
Posts: 5,427
Send a message via MSN to 135791
Default Re: remote access software

if you dont want to go to that hassle find a free proxy of a google search that uses port 80
135791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 04:14 PM   #10
Solid State Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 17
Default Re: remote access software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinton McLeod

The following information can get you fired!

*Ahem*
You can use SSH to run a private proxy from home. That's what I do...
Now, at your job, they are probably monitoring your connection there and where you go... If they see a mysterious SSH connection to a local cable IP, they will get very curious and start checking your computer... There is a way to pass that though...

If you switch your SSH listening port to port 80, then you should be alright. It's not as noticable as a connection to port 22... Also, a lot of these businesses don't have time to check every website on every computer. Instead, they have a program that checks ports. If they see a computer is connected to an odd port such as 22, 21 135, 165, 3128 and etc. The program sounds alarms... However, if you're using port 80, then the program is fooled into thinking it's a http connection...

I mean, don't get me wrong. The admins of your job's network could be smarter than you think! They could check the packets sent from your computer and see that they're encrypted and start asking you questions! So, use this info at your own risk!

Thank you,
Now when I add this I'll be able to access the internet on my home comp from my work comp?

Is that what you're saying?
__________________

dogface is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0