Remote access

Gmcsierra

In Runtime
I bought a used laptop a while ago. Got it extremely cheap from a guy who fixes them and sells them I guess. It was a old cheap brand laptop that I was just going to play around on. Anyways I found a shortcut for a remote access program on my start menu. I clicked on it and no settings where stored or anything. Is it possible that someone could be remote accessing into that computer. Or do most computers have this shortcut there? I looked at the properties and they haven't been messed with in several years. This just seemed odd to me.

I bought a used laptop a while ago. Got it extremely cheap from a guy who fixes them and sells them I guess. It was a old cheap brand laptop that I was just going to play around on. Anyways I found a shortcut for a remote access program on my start menu. I clicked on it and no settings where stored or anything. Is it possible that someone could be remote accessing into that computer. Or do most computers have this shortcut there? I looked at the properties and they haven't been messed with in several years. This just seemed odd to me.

If it was a built-in remote access from Windows, then there's nothing to worry about.

If it was a third-party, like Teamviewer, then definitely you should uninstall it.

It doesn't have a brand. It says Remote Desktop connection and that's it? It has a desktop and two green arrows as the icon. Sound familiar?

I believe it is the windows Remote Desktop connection. It says you can take access of another pc running windows on the same internet or network. I never seen this before.

It doesn't have a brand. It says Remote Desktop connection and that's it? It has a desktop and two green arrows as the icon. Sound familiar?

Yep, too familiar. It's the Remote Desktop Connection of Windows. There's nothing to worry about. Just a shortcut :)

If you're overly concerned (no need really though):

1. Open "run"
2. Type "sysdm.cpl"
3. In the window that opens, go to the "remote" tab
4. Ensure "allowremote assistance..." is off, and ensure the "Don't allow remote connections..." option is ticked.

Shouldn't be necessary though, this is mainly a "tinfoil hat" scenario :)

Back
Top Bottom