Question reguarding "About:Blank"

sammiexo

Beta member
I have a question about the "About:Blank" Spyware/Hijack.

I think my computer was infected by it. It didn't effect Internet Explorer at all, in fact it wasn't even in the history. However, my IP is Yahoo! SBCglobal, and I use their browser; it's my default. So, today, when I was looking in the address box, I found that address of "About:Blank".

So, after that I ran Adaware and SpyBot: Search & Destroy, ran Avast Antivirus, and also ran disk cleanup. Nothing was found. So, after all that, I found a website that offered Adware Away and it found one file connected to "About:Blank". It said it was deleted.

But, I'm still a bit concerned. Is it gone for good? Should I reformat Windows XP to make sure?

I really don't know how I got it, I'm only in a few websites, nothing extreme. I have all kinds of protection, including a firewall. I don't get it.

don't reformat because of one spyware/adware... these files are very common and can even come about from just being connected to the internet. DON'T be paranoid though. Just use tools like ad-aware, spybot, Microsoft AntiSpyware. Scanning your computer at least once a week is a good practice to do.

PS: I've scanned one of my cousins VERY OLD PC's with registry mechanic and ad-aware... It found 4000 items+ on each... and somehow the computer was still running :D

Back
Top Bottom