Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 11-21-2015, 08:59 PM   #1
In Runtime

Default Question about peer 2 peer program

If I was using a p2p and had some other p2p programs on my computer. If I shared the folder where the other programs where. And someone downloaded that folder would they see all my share folders and settings of the other p2p? Or would it just give them a copy of the p2p program?

Kingsford1900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:15 PM   #2
Fully Optimized

Default Re: Question about peer 2 peer program

I believe with most p2p programs, you can specify a folder on your system where shared files downloaded and stored. If you have another p2p program on your machine, you could point that program to the same folder, and they would both be able to access those files.

If you're talking about sharing the program folder (eg: C:\program files\utorrent) via p2p then they'd probably only see the config files for the program but I don't know why you'd want to do that.

crazyman143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 09:30 PM   #3
In Runtime

No I don't want to. I had like limewire, bear share, kazaa etc in my documents folder. The p2p o downloaded to my computer. I somehow shared the my documents folder. Was wondering if someone downloaded my limewire p2p through my documents if they could see all my files I had on my limewire or the files o was sharing. Kind of an odd question I know but just curious how It worked
Old 11-21-2015, 10:03 PM   #4
Wizard of Wires

You have asked this before. You have reworded the question but it is the same thing you kept asking about last time. Were you not satisfied with the answer you were given?

I would strongly suggest you find a P2P forum and go ask some one there.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:17 PM   #5
In Runtime

No I haven't asked this one. I've asked about p2p before yes. But not this in general. Just curious if someone downloaded another P2p program from my documents If it would include my settings and shared files with it
Old 11-22-2015, 01:13 AM   #6
Fully Optimized

Honestly it's been a really long time since I've used a p2p file sharing program. But if I recall correctly I think that if you share your entire My Documents folder then everything in it could be searched and downloaded.
Old 11-22-2015, 08:51 AM   #7
In Runtime

Correct but I have other programs p2p in my document folder. So if another user downloaded one of the other p2p from me would he get all my stuff I shared on my p2p. Such as if I share some folders on limewire and someone downloads limewire from me in my documents could they get the folders I shared
Old 11-22-2015, 01:10 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

They would only get the files you have stored in the My Documents folder. They would not have access to any other folders. Maybe they could learn the paths of the other folders you shared but that's really far fetched. And even then they couldn't get to them.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:42 PM   #9
In Runtime

So if I had my other p2p programs such as frostwire and Kazaa in my documents folder and someone downloaded those programs they wouldn't have access to the files stored in the p2p share folder? Just to make sure I understand you correctly
Old 11-22-2015, 09:11 PM   #10
Fully Optimized

That's correct. Why would they? They can only access the folders that you have specified as shared in the program(s).