Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-15-2012, 09:42 AM   #21
Daemon Poster
 
Dngrsone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 'Murica
Posts: 951
Default Re: Question about anti-virus software

Quote:
Originally Posted by threadmark View Post
Blah, blah, blah...
TM
The horse is dead.

Mayhaps it's time for a moderator to lock this thread...
__________________

__________________
Civility, Substance, Subtlety, Style: Success
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:54 AM   #22
Fully Optimized
 
Indigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 1,866
Default Re: Question about anti-virus software

Dngrsone, I disagree that the thread should be closed - most of these replies are civil still, I don't see any reason to bring that to a halt... However...

Quote:
Originally Posted by threadmark View Post
anti-virus is used when the user doesnít have sufficient knowledge of computer programs and features. Speaking as an IT Manager now just been promoted yay for me, we do not use anti-virus software at all. If you get access to a sufficient firewall so you can permit or deny access to resources and files thatís all a computer needs.
I pray for you then. Not having antivirus on your user's PCs does nothing to protect you should your firewall or Email filter fail to catch something. What about someone letting a rogue program in on the network via a flash drive or CD? What about an outsider who manages to get in anyway via a wifi access point?

Not running antivirus is the stupidest thing any company can do - my company uses Forefront since it offers both malware protection and virus protection, and we use it with a robust hardware firewall in addition to a software solution (Untangle).

We haven't had many problems, but save for the occasional malware snafu - in every case, Forefront has ground the infection to a halt. One of the large reasons why I trust my home PC to MSE.

I also disagree with folks on the Security Suite vs Antivirus situation. Save for NOD or, with caveats, Norton Security, there's little reason to install those heavy handed suites for most users. Yes, the ones that continually poke their noses into places it shouldn't be online need something more secure, but for the vast majority of users, antivirus and the windows firewall does the job.

I build or fix, on average, 10 users a month outside of my day job - this is my point of view. I help folks from the totally novice to the "wannabe technician" - the view hardly shifts. Only the folks who don't want to deal with people usually recommend the ISSes out there.

"No I won't fix your PC" is the perfect shirt for them. As for me, I rather enjoy the extra income.
__________________

Indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:21 PM   #23
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: aus
Posts: 89
Default Re: Question about anti-virus software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
The horse is dead.

Mayhaps it's time for a moderator to lock this thread...
Someone forgot their yoga class this morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo View Post
Dngrsone, I disagree that the thread should be closed - most of these replies are civil still, I don't see any reason to bring that to a halt... However...



I pray for you then. Not having antivirus on your user's PCs does nothing to protect you should your firewall or Email filter fail to catch something. What about someone letting a rogue program in on the network via a flash drive or CD? What about an outsider who manages to get in anyway via a wifi access point?

Not running antivirus is the stupidest thing any company can do - my company uses Forefront since it offers both malware protection and virus protection, and we use it with a robust hardware firewall in addition to a software solution (Untangle).

We haven't had many problems, but save for the occasional malware snafu - in every case, Forefront has ground the infection to a halt. One of the large reasons why I trust my home PC to MSE.

I also disagree with folks on the Security Suite vs Antivirus situation. Save for NOD or, with caveats, Norton Security, there's little reason to install those heavy handed suites for most users. Yes, the ones that continually poke their noses into places it shouldn't be online need something more secure, but for the vast majority of users, antivirus and the windows firewall does the job.

I build or fix, on average, 10 users a month outside of my day job - this is my point of view. I help folks from the totally novice to the "wannabe technician" - the view hardly shifts. Only the folks who don't want to deal with people usually recommend the ISSes out there. [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Nic/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]

"No I won't fix your PC" is the perfect shirt for them. As for me, I rather enjoy the extra income. [IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Nic/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]
this is not about flexing muscles here, im stating it out rite. Virus protection is a method of security, not the only security. My systems are hack proof because everything you just said from cd-roms to usb drive’s as a point of risk has been taken into consideration as well as many other’s. the computer network’s protects against unknown computers like wifi hackers if I used it, wifi that is. what has aided my success is the study of information theory. Im not some two bit know it all that is telling people to not use anti virus because it doesn’t work. Im stating that it should not be branded the way it is being branded in this thread. I do not use virus protection because I’m not just protecting data, but high powered machinery that is controlled via my computer systems. If my methods were to fail, a lot of peoples safety would be at risk. A forum is to share information about ones experience’s to help people. not promote software or flex ones muscles and show people how great they are. My threads are from experience and if this conflicts with your knowledge I’m very sorry, for you, not sorry that your wrong.
threadmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:39 PM   #24
Daemon Poster
 
Dngrsone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: 'Murica
Posts: 951
Default Re: Question about anti-virus software

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo View Post
Dngrsone, I disagree that the thread should be closed - most of these replies are civil still, I don't see any reason to bring that to a halt... However...
Quote:
Originally Posted by threadmark View Post
Someone forgot their yoga class this morning.
... My threads are from experience and if this conflicts with your knowledge Iím very sorry, for you, not sorry that your wrong.
__________________
Civility, Substance, Subtlety, Style: Success
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 04:41 AM   #25
Wizard of Wires
 
setishock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Not sure
Posts: 10,030
Default Re: Question about anti-virus software

threadmark there is no such thing as "hack proof". While you're obviously very pleased with your configuration, it just won't work for the "average" user who for the most part is blissfully clueless.
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:31 AM   #26
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: aus
Posts: 89
Default Re: Question about anti-virus software

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
threadmark there is no such thing as "hack proof". While you're obviously very pleased with your configuration, it just won't work for the "average" user who for the most part is blissfully clueless.
I agree. hack proof without brute force password hacks. The computers wont even register if booted up with a different os like linux. Without the ip no access to files or control systems. If I was to leave my job all the passwords need to be changed and I could not break my own creation without the passwords. I would call that hack proof.
TM
threadmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:02 AM   #27
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,003
Default Re: Question about anti-virus software

you're living in a dream world.

nothing is hack proof.

the trouble is that there are situations that you just haven't considered yet.
__________________
I didnít fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarianÖ
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 11:12 AM   #28
Baseband Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: aus
Posts: 89
Default Re: Question about anti-virus software

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
you're living in a dream world.

nothing is hack proof.

the trouble is that there are situations that you just haven't considered yet.
no I'm not.yes there is, and yes i have.times infinity plus 1 no backsies.
__________________

threadmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0