Public School WiFi

reballers

Solid State Member
What should I use to secure my computer while using an unsecured school network. I have messed with various free anti virus programs but I don't like programs that slow my computer down.

I guess I am asking what should I use in terms of free firewall/anti virus? Should I mess with VPN.

i would say the things you need are

-Anti virus (Make sure its up to date)
-Firewall, Is the windows firewall on?? If not turn it on
-run Windows update and make sure all service packs and hotfixes are installed

not to sure about VPN, can someone else comment ?

I'm not sure what I would be worried about I'm just checking email and web browsing. Some people I have talked won't even use public networks like that.

Is AVG a good free anti virus?

Yea AVG is a great free one if you are just doing day to say stuff dont worry about it. Avoid doing banking transactions or ordering with a credit card and you will be fine..

I've heard that AVG is good but I personally recommend Comodo... it's really a hands on program though as you get prompted for access to just about any program that wants to use system resources. However, it's good to know when something/someone is attempting to access something it/they shouldn't be.

The main concern though that you're referencing is packet sniffing. On a public network, you will encounter people that use programs like WireShark. They sniff out packets and can steal data right out of the air...literally. The use of passwords/etc on a public network is generally inadvisable. Anything to do with your personal Identification can always wait until you're on a secured network or physically plugged into a connection.

Looks pretty good I'll check it out. If I am using VPN does that make it safe to do online banking?

Wikipedia said:
Secure VPNs use cryptographic tunneling protocols to provide confidentiality by blocking intercepts and packet sniffing, allowing sender authentication to block identity spoofing, and provide message integrity by preventing message alteration.

I would assume from the information on Wikipedia that it would be a lot safer, but personally, I do online banking at home and only home, or on my Cell occasionally.

Back
Top Bottom