proxy

vader31201

Solid State Member
Did a search on here but didn't find much. Ive been playing with setting up a proxy server through lunascape. Found a couple good sites and verifiers to make sure they work. The proxy is setup right but my internet is crawling, so in the end i end up not using it. Anythoughts.

Thanks,

I'm not up to speed on this at all! lol

BUT, i'm interested to see how you get on with this.

Surfing by proxy is like voting by proxy no? Ultimately someone else is doing the voting for you.. in your case, the browsing. Then the final results are ending up with you.

I'm interested to know if i'm wrong in my thinking, but before using a proxy you would have been;

'your browser' --------- 'internet'

now its;

'your browser ---------- 'new proxy'---------'internet'

by adding a middle man submit your requests, wait for the returns, and forward them back to you, it stands to reason that things are slower.

Beats me, if it was me i'd be shredding their FAQ apart and pushing some initialy polite queries their way =)

Sorta correct on that theory. Its not like the internet is really going through someone else though.

I figured it out though. First off, lunascape is just giving me a hard time with several things. The issue was me setting the proxy up in Lunascape, when it should have been setup in my firewall.

I assume that kapersky didnt like it when i tried setting the proxy up in the browser. All better now.

Yes proxies are always slow. Due to the fact that so many people use them (if they're free). Any site you use is going to be dead slow. That's normal. As for the table of you----proxy----website... you didn't really think it was a direct hop already did you? if you do a tracert without a proxy to any website you'll see your computer actually can hop from anywhere around 10 to up to 30/40 hops before it reaches the internet site. That's 40 different computers acting on your behalf. The problem is that route is figured out before hand to minimize route length and time. On the other hand if you need to make 40 hops to get to your proxy he makes 30 hops to get to your site and 30 hops back and 40 hops back to you... you can see why it might be longer then just you making only 20 hops to your site. Picking a good proxy is essential. If it's a regional thing i can't help you... on the other hand if you're just trying to get around some bans (like your school internet) setting up your own computer at home as a proxy can be quite useful and fast (if you have a good connection). Otherwise i'd just torrent whatever you want to watch down anyway. Have fun :)

Back
Top Bottom