Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Join Computer forums Today

Old 04-06-2005, 07:23 PM   #1
Beta Member
Default problem w/my comp..possible hacking attempt

Two days ago, I could no longer access the internet (I have dsl, btw). When I opened up Mcafee firewall, it indicated that the program blocked 40+ programs trying to access my computer. The weird thing is, it all came from the same IP address: It continuously tries to access/ping my computer (once almost every second). Now, I have over 500 cases of these attempts being made. Can this be a hacking attempt made by some outside program? I highly doubt that this is a benign source. Unfortunately I am unable to post a HijackThis log b/c I'm using another computer. If anyone recognizes this or has any idea what is going wrong, please help! Thanks for your time.

hk29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 08:23 PM   #2
Baseband Member
Default re:possible hacking attempt

ok. I suggest two things.
1.) try running Spybot S&D after unplugging yourself from the internet
2.) try pinging the ip address that you received

a warning though with the pinging. is the standard ip address for a linksys router. Are you on any type of network, because your business partner sitting right next to you might be pinging you to annoy you. I thkn that that is probably a hacking attempt. *If you have a router, try going into your router settings and block his IP address.*
I suggest that he is probably running some type of batch file that pings ur ip every second. It's quite possible. He might be trying a ping of death attempt. Just a thought. Disconnect ur computer or try changing ur ip address, that works sometimes too...

"Computers are one per cent inspiration and ninety-nine per cent perspiration. Accordingly, a 'computer' is often merely a talented machine who has done all of its homework."

-Thomas Edison, Modern Day.
thecoolkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 09:28 PM   #3
Beta Member

I've tried searching for adware/malware with Spybot but nothing has come up. Unfortunately, there is no way of changing my IP Address either. I guess the only option left is to save my files, reformat the hard drive, and start all over from scratch....Thanks anyway for your help!
hk29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 04:18 AM   #4
Daemon Poster
Send a message via MSN to george Send a message via Yahoo to george
Default Re: problem w/my comp..possible hacking attempt

use a proxy server to change ur ip address it usually does every second or so judging how many resorces it gets. so try that i don't know any good sites but try googling for free proxies it'll change a couple of cookies but u should have no troubles with the hacker anymore.
george is offline   Reply With Quote