Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 08-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
Beta Member

Default Problem with pc locked from AFP Ukash

Hello I am new to this, please excuse any break of protocol etc.

2 Days ago I encountered the AFP Ukash virus/hack which has locked my desktop from booting up to Windows. I use XP and it is an older HP desktop and would appreciate any advice anyone might give to remove this virus. I have a small laptop which I have used to post this and research the virus and tried 3 methods of safe mode start up to remove this but each time I cannot open safe mode as the pc restarts as soon as I get to the log on as administrator option and therefore cant get in to remove files. I really need my pc for work and school and hope someone might offer a way to clean this out or point me in the right direction.

Any other questions you might have to work through this, let me know with follow up posts pls.

Thanks

Serina

sirensong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
Wizard of Wires

Default Re: Problem with pc locked from AFP Ukash

I would not trust anything on that computer even if you managed to get back in.
Wipe the drive and reinstall windows.

setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 12:39 PM   #3
Beta Member

I realise that's an option and probably the easiest. But this is not an option for me as I have years of data, files, etc on there which I must have back access to, to say wipe it and reinstall is not helpful sorry. It might be stubborn of me but there has to be a way to get in to clear it, whether its trustworthy or not is something I have to deal with later.
sirensong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
Baseband Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Venus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirensong View Post
Hello I am new to this, please excuse any break of protocol etc.

2 Days ago I encountered the AFP Ukash virus/hack which has locked my desktop from booting up to Windows. I use XP and it is an older HP desktop and would appreciate any advice anyone might give to remove this virus. I have a small laptop which I have used to post this and research the virus and tried 3 methods of safe mode start up to remove this but each time I cannot open safe mode as the pc restarts as soon as I get to the log on as administrator option and therefore cant get in to remove files. I really need my pc for work and school and hope someone might offer a way to clean this out or point me in the right direction.

Any other questions you might have to work through this, let me know with follow up posts pls.

Thanks

Serina
Getting your data off this drive is quite easy, you can take the drive out and use it in another computer or there are various tool you can use instead... I'd download Hiren's BootCD, stick it on a CD and boot from that, select Mini-XP which is what it says it is... a mini version of XP. There you can use your laptop like you can before to copy the files you want to USB or whatever.

Once you get everything off it I'd then wipe it and reinstall Windows. I'd also run some antivirus on the files you got from the drive just in case.
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:43 PM   #5
Fully Optimized

If you have access to another PC, you can pop the drive out of the HP and install it in that as a second drive to access the files using the good Windows installation. Make sure you have good antivirus.

See if you can boot into safe mode with command prompt. If you can, you can run Combofix from a CD which might clear it up for you.

Get yourself a backup drive before you really get burned.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:14 PM   #6
Wizard of Wires

Yeah the WD passport 500gig has slipped under a $100.00usd. Cheap investment.

setishock is offline   Reply With Quote