Preventing falling for scams.

Hi,
I almost got hacked. I received a mail with some reward offers for my credit card by my bank. It took me to the bank's site and I entered my id and all. But the page didn't load. I suspected server issues, but later when I talked about it to my friends, they told me it might be online fraud. I searched online for an explanation and came across this article. (What Is Skimming, Phishing And Online Fraud? | Kevin Thatcher). I think I may have become a victim of phishing. I informed my bank immediately. Luckily, I was able to save myself. The article has listed cautions to protect from such scams. I was thinking if there is any anti-spyware software or firewall to prevent accessing such pages. If anyone knows about it, please share.

Don't click links in emails even from trusted sources.
It's so easy to go to the site yourself that this should be a no brainer, but people still do it.

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:48 PM ----------

Well i was reading about how criminals access your data through different ways like Social Engineering and through Downloading freeware files that infect your PC with a Trojan virus. This article actually gives you a really good basic summary of the different ways they do it and how you can prevent this from happening http://https://www.1and1.co.uk/digi...te-creation/online-identity-theft-protection/

Never use freeware, because freeware isn't free. Sometimes the cost is very high indeed.

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:50 PM ----------

Also any bank's or other financial institution website will most of the time have the green padlock and it could be highlighted in green with their name which proves to you that they are legitimate and not a bogus business. Example below

ev2.jpg

Anyone can add security to their site for a few extra dollars to the host.
Don't trust it just because of that one thing, look for all the signs that it is legit or not.

Back
Top Bottom