Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Join Computer forums Today

Old 01-21-2005, 08:21 PM   #1
Daemon Poster
Default Port Scanning

More and more white hat hacking has caught my attention. I've realized that most hackers use a port scanner to find weak ports in a network. So it's to my understanding that port scanners, and port scanning is legal? Correct?

Also, in a port scanner a hacker simply enters in a persons IP and it scans for weak ports correct? With this weak port what are the steps (be vaugue I understand you guys and I could probably get in trouble for getting too specific), that a hacker takes with this/these weak port(s) that he has to launch a malicious attack.

Karma/rep is always appreciated
01010010011001010110010001100010011001010110000101 11001001100100

There are only 10 kinds of people in this world. Those who can read binary, and those who can't.
mayorredbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 03:24 PM   #2
In Runtime
Default Re: Port Scanning

Port scanning itself as far as I'm aware is legal, but it serves no purpose to an outsider other than someone wanting to hack the system. It provides the hacker information on which ports are open, which can be read as, which services the target system is running. i.e port 21 FTP, port 23 telnet, etc etc this would then provide them with information gathering access and on some systems the ability to copy the systems home directory, containing root passwords, from the ftp thus granting them access as a super user.
P.S.Moderators: If this isn't vague enough feel free to edit it. I don't wish to convey malicious methods, but I feel that it best describes the functionality of port scanning without saying how to. (I don't know how either)
Mal is offline   Reply With Quote