Go Back   Computer Forums > General Computing > Cyber Safety and Computer Security
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 05-03-2007, 10:34 AM   #1
Beta Member

Question Please help with this...

I am running on an Imac connected via LAN to my Actionteck(sp?) router provided by Verizon for my Fios internet. My wife has a new Compaq laptop with Vista that we are running wirelessly off of the router.
I donít use her computer very much, but last night I was trying to stream a show off of CBS.com
About half way though the video the stream started stalling and I received a pop up message stating that ďAn outside source is attempting to wirelessly access your internet explorer.Ē The message gave me the option of permanently blocking the signal which I did. Now for some reason I canít connect to an internet explorer session. My wireless network shows that I have a good connection.
Also, what is up with that pop up that I received? It almost sounded that someone was trying to access my laptop directly via wireless. Is that possible? I donít live in a very populated area. What would be the range that someone would have to be for that capability? Or am I hallucinating?
I checked my Google search bar and there were searches on there that I or my wife never entered.
I am running Norton internet security that is active and updated. I did notice that my windows firewall was not turned on.
Any suggestions on what caused this, how I can fix my internet connection, and what I can do to keep this from happening again?

Thank you in advance.
Charles.

Chat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:01 PM   #2
BSOD

Default Re: Please help with this...

Quote:
The message gave me the option of permanently blocking the signal which I did. Now for some reason I can’t connect to an internet explorer session. My wireless network shows that I have a good connection.
I think it's detecting the Access Point (router) therefore it is getting connected to that. However, it wont display webpages.

Do you have ANY form of security on this router? Also, I would recommend disabling nortons internet security and then re try to connect to surf the web.

PS if your running Nortons internet security you do NOT need to turn on Windows firewall.

0x0161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 05:42 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

sum1 was probably accessing it from about 50 ft away. reset ur router see wat happens.
spywarebanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 10:41 AM   #4
Beta Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0x0161 View Post
I would recommend disabling nortons internet security and then re try to connect to surf the web.
Yes, good info.
Norton was blocking my Internet Exporer, I was able to go into Norton and un block it. Works fine now.

Thank you.
Chat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:27 PM   #5
BSOD

Quote:
Yes, good info.
Norton was blocking my Internet Exporer, I was able to go into Norton and un block it. Works fine now.

Thank you.
You're welcome.
0x0161 is offline   Reply With Quote